Part Two: On The Road

We are lucky to get the luggage out of my car before they towed it away. It was only a few duffle bags and my make-up pouch that a rarely use. I easily put it in the bed of his truck and he shuts it up.

"Ready?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say and I got to the front of the truck. I get in at the same time he does and he pulls out his phone.

"Hey mom. Hey let me talk to dad." He says. He waits a few seconds and then says something else. "Because I don't need to talk to you I need to talk to dad." I hear someone on the other end and ten he talks again.

"Hey dad. Listen I got in a bit of an accident on my way home but everything is fine no one was hurt." He says and there is a pause. "Dad, my car only has a small dent. But the car I hit got totaled. She was on her way home for summer break from college and I'm taking her there." He says an another pause. "Yes I understand. No nothing like that. Yes you know her dad she comes in the Café a lot." He says and I'm wondering what his dad is asking him. "Update New York. I will be back in two weeks." Peeta says and hangs up.

"What was that about?" I ask.

"My dad is just worried about me traveling across the country with a girl."

"Oh." Is all I say because it feels a bit awkward talking to him since I barely know him. I just kind of sit there as he travels down the highway. What am I supposed to say? We got in an accident and now he is taking me all the way to New York without thinking twice. I still have no idea what to say to him so I sit there awkwardly as we drive. Then I think of something.

"Hey, um thank you for driving me to my family. It means a lot." I say.

"It's no problem at all Katniss." He says.

"So I'm, because you are driving, do you think I could sleep for awhile? I was up awfully early this morning." I say.

"Sure go ahead." He says.

"Thank you." And I lean the chair back a little, closing my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's so short!!! Next one will be longer I promise!