Part Twenty Seven: Leavin

I wake up Very early on Friday morning. I have to fly back home today. Classes ended yesterday actually but I wanted to wait to fly home. It's not a long flight honestly. And I will probably sleep the whole time. Foxface is going home too. She loves in Alabama do she asked me to wake her before I left. She leaves tomorrow. I slowly make my way to her bed, shaking her awake.

"Hey, get up." I say and she does.

"What time is it?" She asks.

"4:30. Much to early for either of us. Why did you want me to wake you?" I ask going back to my dresser. I pull out a pair of tennis shoes, some basketball shorts with a mockingjay on them, and a T-shirt. I dress quickly while Foxface is distracted by her own tiredness.

"I wanted to say goodbye before you want back." She says standing up.

"Aw we could have done that last night. You didn't have to get up." I tell her taking my hair from the braid I put it in last night. My curls fall down to past my Shoulders.

"It's not the same." She admits. I take my bags to the door.

"I will see you in a few weeks." I say hugging her.

"Have a safe trip."

"You too." And with that, I walk out of the dorm room. Foxface isn't much of a talker, but she is a great listener. I finally told her what happened during the summer about 2 weeks after I got back. She told me I should go with whoever made me happiest and she has been giving me little advice since then. I think I've almost made my choice. (I'm not saying who yet!!:) because I'm that evil! Suspense!!) but I will wait until after Thanksgiving to tell anyone. I go to the sitting area of the dorm an no one is there. Usually it's packed full of people. I make myself some coffee. The airport is like 10 minutes away and my flight doesn't leave until 6:15. Why I got up so early I have no idea. But the Café is open by now, though I doubt Peeta is there. I won't even be able to tell him goodbye. I slowly put my bags in my car. I still have a lot if time. I fix my make up slightly and I go to the café. I still want a cheese bun. I ring the bell at the counter and Mr. Mellark, Peeta's dad, comes out from a room.

"Good morning Katniss. You sure are early this morning." He says.

"Yeah I have a flight to catch at 6:15. Get to go home for Thanksgiving."

"Oh I see. Well it's a shame you didn't get to sleep longer. It's hard getting up this early all the time." He gets a bag and reaches for a freshly made cheese bun.

"Yeah but I will sleep on the flight." I say taking out money.

"Speaking of sleeping, there is a young man upstairs sleeping who would be crushed of he didn't get a goodbye from you." He hands me the bag.

"I was just thinking about that. Mind if I go up?"

"Not at all. And keep your money!" He says when I try to give him his $2. I sigh. He is just like Peeta.

"I swear you and your son are just alike."

"Katniss, you come in here all the time. You don't need to pay."

"How do you make money?" I ask sarcastically. He shows me the stair steps and I slowly walk up.

"Turn right and it's the first door on the left." He says so I nod. I make my way up and I open the door. There lays Peeta, in a white T-shirt and grey sweat pants, not even covered by a blanket with the window open. We may be in California but it does get cold at night. But he is so weird with the window being open. I laugh every time. I gently shake him awake. He complains and rolls over again.

"Peeta wake up." I say sweetly. This gets his attention. He looks at me with his beautiful blue eyes.

"Hey."

"Hey. Thought I would say good bye before I left. Sorry I woke you."

"I don't mind. Thanks actually." He sits up and stretches.

"Your dad let me come up."

"Yeah, he is always up first."

There is a silence but Peeta quickly breaks it.

"So uh, have you decided yet?" He asks and I know exactly what he is talking about. I shake my head.

"I hate to keep you waiting. I'm almost decided. I will be able to tell you after Thanksgiving." His eyes fall to the floor. He must be thinking about Gale getting more of a chance because I will see him during the break.

"He has no more of a chance just because I will see him. Okay?" I put my arms around him.

"Okay." He says into my hair.

"I have to run or I'll miss my flight. See you in 2 weeks." I kiss his cheek.

"Okay. I love you." Wow what!? Did he really just say that!? I look at him funny.

"I'm sorry Katniss. It just slipped out." He apologizes.

"Peeta it's fine.." I say but I'm not so sure. How am I supposed to respond to this? I do love him but I can't have him taking it the wrong way before I tell him my official choice.

"I just, I will wait for you Katniss. I will wait until the day I die. Seriously, if I'm on my death bed and you don't tell me until then, I will still be happy. Just take your time alright?" How can he do this to me?

"Why do you hate me?" I say and I sit on his bed again.

"I do not." He says shocked.

"But you always say that you'll wait forever for me and I can't give you a simple yes or no answer."

"Katniss, don't think of it like that. I just want you to take your time in deciding. But I also want you to know that I wot leave you." He takes my hand. So I lean my head on his shoulder.

"I will tell you when I get back. If not Sooner." He lifts my chin so that I have to look at him.

"I will tell you by Monday." I switch my answer. Then Peeta leans in and puts his lips to mine. Something I haven't had for over 2 months, and I have missed it very much.

"Take. Your. Time." He says slowly. I nod.

"See you soon." I stand up.

"Goodbye Katniss." He says obviously choosing his words more carefully this time.

"Peeta?"

"Yes?"

"No matter what I choose. And even if it's not you, just know that you're the reason I started trusting people again. That I started loving people other than my friends and family. I love you too." I don't wait for his answer, I walk out. I go to my car, after bidding Mr. Mellark a goodbye, and I rush to the airport. Barely making it, but I did. And now I'm home bound.