Part Twenty Two: Peeta Goes Home

Almost as soon as Peeta is let out of the hospital, his parents want to take him home. I mean right away too. They already has his bags packed and since they flew out here, they were flying back. Leaving his truck here. He told me to just drive it back to college and he would drive me around if I needed until I got a new car. We all got in Peeta's truck and drove to the airport. By we I mean me and the entire Mellark family. It was a tight squeeze but we managed. We drove very carefully to the airport, watching for any drunk drivers. We made it in one piece this time and we all got out. Peeta only had 30 minutes until they borded. I sat with him while his family got some lunch. I sit with my head on his should and we held each other's hands.
"I don't want you to go." I blurt out.
"I don't want to go either. But I'll see you soon okay?" All I can do is nod.
"I promise I will give Gale a chance but I doubt it will work out. We know each other to well." I tell him, hoping it will make him feel better. He may have been the one that suggested it but I know he doesn't like the idea. He shrugs.
"I just want you to be happy. If you like him better the stay with him. We will still be friends."
"Why are you doing this?" I ask.
"Because he deserves a fair chance too. And I want you to make sure you do like me like I like you. If so, and it doesn't work between you and Gale, it might between us."
"Well, okay. But these next two weeks of being away from you are going to be hard."
"We can talk. We could text or FaceTime or call. Just make sure you are talking to Gale to."
"Gee, it almost sounds like you want me to pick him over you." I joke. He laughs sarcastically.
"Yeah right.
"Flight 118 to California. Please prepare to bored." A voice says overhead and I grab Peeta's hand tighter.
"It's only 2 weeks Katniss." He reminds me.
"I know. I know." I say. He stands up and I walk with him to where he will give the flight attendant his ticket.
"I will see you soon okay." I have tears in my eyes as he says this. I really don't want him to leave. A few spill and he wipes them away.
"Soon." I say and he hugs me. Another year falls in his shirt but I'm sure he won't notice. I try to clear my eyes
Of my tears and by the time he pulls away I have. He smiles once more than turns to his family. They start walking away an he turns around once more. He waves slightly and I wave back. He boards the plane and I sit in the airport as I watch it take off. When I see the plane that had AMERICAN AIRLINE 118 painted on the side rolling out onto the runway, I went out to Peeta's truck. I watched the plane take off as I drove away, flying higher and higher until I couldn't see it anymore. I sigh. Just two weeks. Two weeks to spend with Prim and my friends. Two weeks to give my mother a second chance. And two week to give Gale a first. Its only two weeks. I drive back home silently and when I pull in, I see Gales car park in front of my house. I park and walk in. Gale and Prim are watching TV on the couch and I think Rory is in the recliner. Uncle Haymitch is on love seat taking a nap. The TV is on a movie. I think it's called the Hunger Games or something like that. Looks boring to me so I go towards my room only to be stopped by a voice.
"Katniss, where are you going? You just got back." Prim says.
"I'm a little tired, so I was going to take a nap."
"We can kicked Rory off the recliner if you want." Gale offers and Rory looks offended.
"Dude, I thought you were my bro!" He says. Prim giggles and blushes a little at Rorys lame little joke. Hm, maybe Prim has a bit of a crush on Rory.
"It's okay Rory. My bed seems more comfortable." I say with a wink and he smiles. I walk to my room and lay down, checking my phone. I have one message from Madge.
"Hey, heard Peeta was leaving today. Just remember you will see him again really soon. Keep you read up love!" Man, she is my best friend. I lay my phone down and I take a peaceful, nightmare free nap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I thought I was moving things a little to fast with Peeta and Katniss. Time to slow Things down! :)