Part Twenty One: Staying With Him

"See, you would have killed him without thinking twice." I say to the doctor when k know Peers has fallen asleep.
"You were right Miss Everdeen, I m truly sorry." He says and walks out of the room. Everyone else just stands there in shock over the fact that Peeta actually woke up from his coma. I hold on to his hand and his parents stand smiling at each other on the other side of his bed. Annie has walked tonne and is rubbing my back, and it soothes me.
"Katniss, can we talk privately?" Halle says from behind everyone. They all move out of the way and I can see him. He looks sad.
"Um, yeah. I guess so." I stutter a bit but I stand up.
"No, Katniss you two stay here with Peeta. We will come back in I. A few minutes." His mother says sensing that I don't really want to leave him yet.
"Thank you." And they all walk out. Peeta sleeps, and Gale walks towards me.
"So he, he woke up." He says.
"Yeah, he did." I agree.
"So I guess there can't be an US."
"Gale, I love you too. I just, love Peeta differently. You two are both like brothers to me."
"It's not fair, I have known you longer and you just met him like 2 months ago." He complains.
"I know Gale and I'm sorry, I truly am."
"Whatever Katniss. It won't last and then you will come crawling to me." He says and walks out. I sigh and look back at Peeta. He had his eyes open.
"I thought you were asleep."
"I was, but I woke up to you and Gale talking." He says smiling.
"You little eavesdropper!" I say.
"How can I eavesdrop in my own hospital room?" He asks innocently. His voice still sounds very weak and it should be. He hasn't said or done anything in almost 2 months.
"They know, about me and you." I tell him.
"What did Gale say?"
"He is pretty upset about it. I think while you were in the coma he thought he had a chance." I admit.
"You should let him have that chance."
"Wait, what?" I ask flabbergasted.
"Well, I mean you could go out with him for awhile to make your best friend happy. You will have to leave to come back to the college soon anyways." I can't believe what I am hearing.
"So you want me to go out with him instead?" I ask a little heartbroken.
"No not at all. But he's right, you have known him longer and I would hate to see your friendship broken up because of me." Oh, so he is doing this for me. I guess it doesn't matter. Peeta's parents will drag him him and I will be here for another 3 weeks for summer break. I could be Gales girlfriend for 3 weeks and then I would be off to college again. Weighing out my options, I will be able to still date Peeta and keep my friendship with Gale.
"Okay." I say. "But it won't be the same."
"I know, but you will be home soon." He moves some hair out of my face. I know he said home, and I know he means college. But if he is there, then it will be home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry these have been short! I'm having a writers block for another story so I'm try to work on that as well! Thanks for being patient I love you guys!