Part Thirteen: Hanging Out

I bolt up in my bed, making my hair fly forward, and I sleepy try to catch my breath. I hope I didn't scream this time. Another nightmare. I wipe the cool sweat from my face and look at the clock. 4:30 a.m. I don't care what time it is, there is no way I will be able to sleep again. I slowly get up, pick up Prim, lay her on my bed, and walk out of my room. I'm not sure what time mom starts here new job, so I check her room. She is sleeping so it won't be for awhile. I will have no one to talk to. I walk into the kitchen and get some orange juice. I keep my mind off of my dream because if I don't, I know it will haunt me. I know I won't be able to sleep again, and I don't want to go outside yet either because it's still early, so I walk over to the window. I like to sit on the edge of it and look outside into the woods. Turns out I'm not the only one either. I'm turning the corner and I see Peeta sitting there, hugging his knees and starting outside. I debate if I should join him or not, and decide to just go sit.

"Hey." I say behind him and he turns to face me.

"Hey." He says.

"Can't sleep?" I ask.

"No windows in that room." He says.

"I man, I forgot. There is a window in my room we can trade tonight." I promise.

"It's not big deal. Why are you up?"

"I uh, had a nightmare. And I didn't want to go back to sleep." I admit.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Um, yeah." I say surprised myself. I never usually talk about my nightmares. Peeta sits up.

"Well, me and you were walking through the woods." I start. "We were walking for the lake when someone stepped out in front of us. We didn't know who, so we quickly went around him. He just stood there. We got to the lake and say down. We didn't say anything. After awhile, the man came back. He was standing in the middle of the lake with something in his hand. I said we should go but you said there was nothing to worry about. I trusted you." I start to get choked up. " he came towards us and you could see it was a giant knife in his hand. He came towards you. I kept telling to to leave and you kept saying it was fine. That there was nothing to worry about. When The man with the knife got close to you, he raised the knife in the air and it came down on your head. You weren't dead yet, but close. I said we need to go an you still said everything was fine. When the man raised the knife the second time and hit you in the stomach. You said everything was fine. Eventually, you died laying your head on my lap. I was crying over too of you when the man brought down the knife again and when it hit me, I woke up breathless." I tell him. He looks like he is in shock. Maybe because I was dreaming about him.

"Katniss, I'm so sorry." He says.

"Why are you apologizing?"

"Because you wouldn't have had that dream if you never met me. If I hadn't wrecked into you." He says.

"Peeta that wasn't your fault. And I feel better talking about it." I say try to get off topic. He scoots closer to me, moving some hair from my face.

"You should go back and try to sleep." He says.

"I won't be able to."

"You can try. I won't sleep anymore tonight anyways so if I hear you I will come get you." He says.

"Do you promise?" I ask still not sure.

"Cross my heart." He says. I nod and he walks me back to my bedroom. I like having him By my side. I walk in and find Prim is back on the ground. It looks like she fell. I straighten her up and make her look cozy, then climb in bed. I fall asleep, into a dreamless sleep.