Part Twelve: Awkward

***Katniss's POV***
I stand by the trees with the girls looking at me. Why did I tell him that? Maybe because he told me he didn't like me like I might like him and it hurt. I think I did pretty good lying. I wish I didn't lie though because I wanted to feel something towards him. But if he doesn't, than I guess I should just try and forget anything I felt towards him. I feel something hit my head and my hand travels to the top of my hair. It's a little wet.
"Is it raining?" I ask them like nothing just happened.
"What happened up there Katniss?" Annie asks.
"Just... nothing." I say. "Let's go I'm starving."
"What about Peeta?" Glimmer asks.
"He is coming. He wanted a minute." And with that, we walk back to the house. We go in and I see Gale on the couch with Cato, Finnick and Marvel are on the love seat.
"Hey." I say.
"Hey Katniss. Have a nice walk?" Gale says.
"Uh, yeah sure. Where is Prim?" I ask because honestly, she is the only one I want to talk to right now. I would talk to the girls, but there is something different with talking to my sister.
"In your room." Finnick says.
"Thank you. Guys, I really enjoyed seeing you all tonight but I'm not much to talk right now. So maybe you guys should go home and we can hang out tomorrow or the day after." I say and they all nod. One by one, they stand up and start to leave. When they have all left, the only person that remains standing in front of me is Gale.
"Gale, go home." I say.
"Why? So you can go make out with your new boyfriend?" He asks.
"He isn't my boyfriend." I hiss.
"Okay, should I go so you can leave me in wonder of what was said earlier?" He asks.
"I don't know how to answer that." I say.
"Why? We have known each other forever and you don't know if you love me back?"
"Of course I love you Gale, I'm just not sure how." I answer.
"Well know this, I will wait forever and a day to know. I just hope I it doesn't take that long." He says
"I'm sorry Gale." I mumble.
"I knew it. He is your boyfriend isn't he? You do like him." He says and I'm furious. I hear the door open and I think maybe it's Glimmer and she forgot her keys since she always does.
"OH MY GOSH!!! PEETA IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND AND HE NEVER WILL BE! STOP SAYING THAT! ME AND HIM, WE ARE NEVER GOING TO DATE!" I scream at him. I catch my breath only to lose it when I see it wasn't Glimmer who walked in. Of course, it's Peeta. He keeps his face blank and stands in the doorway.
"Gale, get out." I say.
"But-"
"No! Out!" I say and he does. He walks right past Peeta, hitting his shoulder on the way out. Peeta just stands there, not really knowing what to say or do. I clear my throat.
"Do you um, want something to drink?" I ask and he shakes his head no. "Are you hungry?"
"No, I'm good." He says with no emotion beind his words.
"Are you tired?"
"Not really. Are you?" He asks.
"Um, yeah. I was just about to go to my room. I can show you where you will be staying." I say and he nods. I wish he would say something more. Something with expression. I lead him down the hallway into Prim's room. I run back to the living room and get his bag for him. When I come back, I see him sitting on Prim's bed, looking at his phone.
"Peeta?" I ask. He looks at me with another blank expression. I can't even read his eyes. I was a bing on apologizing and taking back what I said to Gale just a few minutes ago, but somehow I don't.
"Um, here is your bag." I say and I walk it to him. He nods and then turns back to his phone. I get the idea that he wants to be alone.
"Goodnight Peeta." I say as I walk towards the door. I look back to see him staring at me.
"Goodnight Katniss." He says and I feel hurt. I nod and walk out of the room, closing the door. I sigh, and walk to the kitchen to get a drink. I shouldn't have ever thought that he may like me. I'm a poor girl who isn't pretty and he is a smoking hot rich kid. How am I supposed to think that he would want me? I finish my drink and go to my room. I find Prim sitting at my old desk.
"Hey." I say walking and sitting on my bed. She swivels the chair around and look at me.
"Hey, where did you go?" She asks. I should have known it was coming.
"Well, I needed to get away from Gale. Or, I think so. He told me tonight that he love me, right after he kissed me." I tell her. She stands up and sits by me.
"Oh man, shit is going down." She says.
"You little potty mouth! Watch what you say." I tell her, putting my arm around her shoulder.
"Sorry. To many movies I guess. I blame you Hollywood!" She says an I smile. "so what happened after?"
"Well, I was telling the girls about it and I guess Peeta left too because he was in the woods. I climb a tree after him and listened to him tell me he didn't like me as more than a friend when he heard me talk about Gale. So I went along with it and acted like I felt the same way, but I'm not sure it's true." I tell her.
"Do you think you like Gale?" She asks.
"I don't know. I have known him forever and he is like my older brother."
"Well, what if Peeta lied just like you? Because he thought you liked Gale?"
"I doubt that, but I won't rule it out. Anyways, we can talk more about this tomorrow. We should get some sleep." I say.
"Actually, Rue and I are going to the mall tomorrow morning and I am staying there tomorrow night. I'm sorry I know you just got home hit I have been planning this for weeks! You could come too." She says.
"No, you and Rue need some best friend time! Go and have fun. I guess mom, Peeta, and I will hang tomorrow."
"Actually Kim got a new job at the hospital. She starts tomorrow."
"Kim? You call her Kim now?" I ask.
"Well, she wasn't my mom for awhile so I didn't treat her like one. When I called her that, she started slowly coming back." She admits.
"Well good job on bring Kim back to us." I say with a wink. She laugh.
"Well thank you " she says and she grabs her blanket and lays in the floor. "Well, goodnight Katniss."
"Goodnight Prim." I say and I fall asleep.