Part Ten: A Party Gone Wrong

"SURPRISE!" Everyone yells and I see that what Prim told me was wrong. All of my friends are here. They weren't to busy to come see me. They were planning a surprise party. Prim rushes to the front of the room and runs int my open arms. I think I hug her a little to tight but I don't care and she doesn't either.
"I missed you Prim." I say into her hair.
"I missed you too Katniss." She says back. I release her and get surrounded by everyone else. First my mother and Uncle Haymitch. I make my mothers faster than I probably should, but I talk to my Uncle for a moment. A lot of people say we are just a like and I'm closest to him then any other aunt or uncle.
"Nice job sweetheart." He says.
"Thanks." I get hugs from all my friends. I find that Clove cut her hair a bit shorter and Glim got more highlights. Annie kept hers the same and Joanna doesn't do anything special with her hair anyways. Always in a ponytail. Cato and Marvel come up at the same time and capture me in a hug, kissing both of my cheeks while someone takes an obviouslt planned photo.
"You guys are stupid." I say when they let go. The gasp and hug each other, pretending to cry as if my words actually hurt them. I kiss them both of their cheeks this time and all if forgiven. Then Finnick comes up, hugging me, and then reaching in his pocket.
"Want a sugar cube?" He asks popping one in his mouth. That is like the only thing he eats is sugar cubes. And honestly I don't understand why.
"Those are going to be the death of you." I state.
"Then I shall die a happy man." He says back. "Good to have you home." And he walks away. Then Gale comes up.
"Hey." He says.
"Hey." I say back. He opens his arms and I can't help but walk in to them. Gale isn't much for words like Peeta, but he makes me feel better. Oh crap! I forgot Peeta is here. Standing awkwardly in the doorway while I hug everyone in the room. I let go of Gale and stand by Peeta.
"Um, everyone? This is Peeta Mellark. He works at the cafe back at college with his family. He is the reason I'm even here." I say.
"Katniss." He says into my ear.
"Peeta." I mock. "It's true. He is also the reason you all saw me sing the national anthem at the Reds game so go ahead and thank him." I joke and everyone in the room laughs a little. Prim walks right up to Peeta and, as if she has known him forever, hugs him.
"Thank you for bringing my sister home." She says.
"No problem kiddo." He says back.
"Mom. Can I speak with you for a minute." I ask and she nods. Glim, Clove and Cato all start talking to Peeta so he won't be left alone in awkwardness. My mother and I walk into the next room where I pull out the check.
"Listen. Since I'm only staying for the summer, you need to take this. But I need 10k to give back to Peeta because not only has he paid for everything so far, but he got me 20k instead of only 10k for singing the national anthem." I say handing her the check. She looks shocked at first and then smiles.
"Katniss. I have good news. When your father died, he left behind his entire retirment fund and life insurance. But, for some reason, the lawyer wasn't able to find it until just a few weeks ago. We won't need this. This is all your money."
"Really?" I ask. "So I can get a new car?"
"Yes. Oh, your father really planned out for his family." She says and I nod in agreement.
"I need to talk about something else too." I say.
"What?"
"Peeta will be staying for awhile."
"Katniss, I don't know..." She trails off.
"You aren't honestly telling me that you will just let him drive me all the way across the country to make him turn around and leave will you?" I ask.
"Well, no. I guess. I just. Okay. But Prim will stay in your room and he can have her room understand?" He asks.
"Deal." I say and we hug on it. We walk back out to everyone and Peeta is talking to them. It sounds like he is talking about Kings Island.
"The one ride we rode was called the Flight Deck. I think Katniss liked that on the most. You go up on your back and then it flips you over like you are flying. We both put our arms out and we felt like we were going to fall out. I even think I heard Katniss scream a little." He says as if it is supposed to be some big secret.
"I did not!" I say "But you sure sounded like a little girl when we rode the slingshot Mr. If I die I will haunt you." I speak up and everyone laughs. Peeta turns a little red.
"Hey now, that guys checked your belt better than he checked mine." He says.
"Excuses, excuses." I say sitting down next to him and Prim. So on our love seat we Me on one end, Peeta on one end, and Prim in the middle. On the couch is Cato, Finnick, and Annie. On our recliner is Haymitch, holding a bottle. And Clove, Glim, Joanna, and Marvel are on the floor. Peeta and I talk about Cincinnati for awhile. The game, Kings Island, the movie, and the bridge. I don't talk about his fake leg though, not yet. I text Peeta from my phone.
Me: Hey. In a few minutes, stand up and walk towards the kitchen so everyone will see you and make you fake leg come off.
Peeta: You are a very evil person, but I like how you think. 5 minutes and I will. Who do you think will freak out the most?
Me: Not Prim. She will be able to tell it's fake. She wants to be a doctor. Probably Glimmer, Clove, and Marvel. Annie may faint or something and Finnick will offer you some sugar cubes.
Peeta: What about Gale?
Me: No way! Gale has killed so many animals before that this will be nothing.
"Are you two texting each other!?" Clove notices.
"No?" We say at the same time.
"Then give me your phone Katniss." Clove says sitting up. May as well let someone in on it. I pass her my phone and she reads it by herself. She gets it and throws it back.
"They aren't." She says to the others. We go one talking and Peeta stands up after about 5 minutes. He starts walking towards the kitchen, trying to get past Glim when his leg falls off right on top of her. She sees it and screams which makes Annie, Marvel, and Cato scream. Prim looks in shock. Uncle Haymitch jumps up and his drink goes everywhere. Finnick actually stops eating his sugar cubes and pays attention to what is happening. I laugh my head off and when they see I'm laughing, they get it. Peeta laughs too and picks up his leg.
"Cato! I didn't know you could scream like such a girl. same to you Marvel!" I say still laughing. Once I settle down, they start laughing a bit too and we are soon all laughing. Except Gale. What is his problem? I haven't seen him smile one time tonight.
"Okay, I'm seriously going to go to the kitchen to get some drinks. Anyone want anything? I nknow we are stocked on root beer and mountain dew." I say because we always are. I get everyones request and walk into the kitchen. Gale follows me though I never asked him to.
"Hey. You want mountain dew?" I ask.
"I can get some water. Thanks though." He says but there is no expression behind his words.
"Gale what's wrong?" I ask.
"Nothing why?"
Because you aren't acting like yourself." I say. He sighs.
"Look Katniss. We watched the rest of the game the other night." He says.
"And?"
"And, we saw the eighth inning kiss cam." He says.
"Really? I didn't know they showed that on tv." I say a little embarrassed. But why should I be? Gale and I aren't a couple or anything. Maybe it's just because I have known him for so long.
"Yeah, they do. And it's kind of hard for me to see you kiss someone on tv when..." He trails off.
"When what?" I ask. He closes the fridge and puts his water on the counter. He comes closer to me until he is right over top of me and leans down. He captures my face in his hands and kisses me, leaning me back a little. I don't know what to do. I'm in shock. I'm frozen. I just sit there, not kissing him back, letting his lips play with mine. Finally, he pulls away.
"When I have loved you since we were 12." He says and I must say, I did not see that one coming. I'm still in shock, but my feet move on their own. I run out the kitchen into the living room. The door is on the other side of the room so I have to pass everyone. They are all looking at me now though. I keep tears back, even though I don't know why I should be crying, and I run passed them all. Ignoring them as they call for my name. The only persons voice I listen to is Peeta's. He sounds worried.
"Katniss? Where are you going?" He asks. I can't ignore him. I grab a jacket and turn to them.
"Out." I say and I rush out the doors, into the woods by my home.