Part Thirty One: Calling Her

I can't believe how fast these passed few days have gone. Plutarch is taking me tomorrow to get a new phone and then we are going for my MacBook. Mom has been freaking out about Prim going to the dance and how she will be dressing. She is a teenager after all. She should be dressing in a short dress, not to short of course, some jewelry, makeup and high high heels. But mom wants her in no makeup, one necklace, a long dress to the floor with tennis shoes underneath. But I put my foot down.
"No. There is no way she is dressing like that. I went to this dance twice enforce college. I will dress her accordingly. I won't let her look like a whore." I told my mother. She shook her head but in defeat.
"I trust you Katniss. Don't disappoint me." She said. So today, me and Prim went shopping. I got her a simple pink dress, but we dressed it up. She will have a black sweater, and I sparkling belt. She has a few bracelets and necklace. I'm doing her make up Wednesday. Two more days until her dance. Right now I lay in my bed, playing on moms iPad. I'm so bored though. I decide now is a good time to go to sleep. I shut of the iPad, lay it on my nightstand, and I settle in for the night. Let's see. We got all her stuff for the dance, I'm getting my new phone tomorrow, and my MacBook. But i can't help think I'm forgetting something. Today is Monday and we went shopping, tomorrow Is Wednesday, a cooking day and the dance that Gale asked me to, and Thursday is Thanksgiving. Something about today, Monday, eats at the back of my mind. I shrug it off and go to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** Peeta's POV ***
I turn the sign from Open to Close. Monday night and Katniss still hasn't called me. Is she still deciding? Did she decide Gale? Is she just not going to tell me util she gets back? No. She said she would call me either today or earlier. She might have gotten busy. But what if something happened? What of she is hurt? She hadn't responded to my texts all weekend. Everytime I try to FaceTime her she ignores it. Maybe she really doesn't like me. Maybe it was just wishful thinking that ended up being mindless dreaming. I run behind the counter and check my phone again even though I just looked at it a minute ago. Nothing. Maybe I should try calling her again. I don't want to be annoying, but why hasn't she talked to me. I decide I need to call her again. I click her contact (Katniss 💔💚💔) and I hit call. It only rings two times and this time someone answers. I get overly excited.
"Hello?" Says the wrong voice.
"Hello? Who is this?" I ask
"Oh, hello Peeta."
"How do you know who I am?"
"Caller ID. What can I do for you?" The mans voice asks.
"I want to speak with Katniss." This doesn't sound like and of Katniss's friends. Not even Gale which is surprising since his voice if that low too.
"Hey Seneca! He wants to talk to Katniss!" The man yells to someone else. I hear laughing.
"Sorry buddy. That's not going to happen."
"Where is Katniss?" I ask frantically.
"Far away from here." He says and hangs up.
"No!" I scream. I try calling again and again but I'm ignored every time. When I admit the fact that I won't be able to get them to answer again, I slide down the wall I was leaning on. One year rolls down my cheek. Where is Katniss? Is she okay? Is she dead? Will I see her again? These questions race through my head as I realize I have drawn the attention of my family. Finally I can hear their yelling, trying to get me to answer them.
"Peeta?" One voice gets me. My dad.
"Dad." He puts his arms protectively around me like I'm a small child who just had a nightmare. Except I'm not a child and I'm living the nightmare. I explain to them what happened on the phone call and of course my mom wats to call the police. That's her solution to everything.
"Mom, I'm not calling the cops. I'm going to New York." I say getting up off the floor.
"No, it's to close to thanksgiving." She says.
"Mom, I have to. She could be hurt."
"Peeta, you are not going to New York right now. Just be patient." She is trying to stay calm. My mother is nice, but she has a short temper.
"No! I have to make sure she is okay!" I scream. I start for the door, and dad hands off his wallet. I feel bad because now we will have to deal with her. I run to my truck, ready to drive to the airport, when the front and back doors open. Rye and Jacob are in my truck.
"What are you guys doing?" I snap.
"Dad wanted us to come. In case there was trouble." Rye, my older brother says. He sits in the passenger seat.
"Fine." I start the car.
"I've never been to New York." Jacob says.
"Yeah, it's a great place." I say boringly. I know he is just trying to get my mind off of things.
"Hey, I'm sure she is fine." Rye says. I only nod. We drive to the airport and get 3 emergency tickets to New York. We are on our way. Oh Katniss, please be safe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***Snows POV***
"At least we know her name." I say to Seneca. I pace the floor.
"That's not good enough. We will have to find her exactly."
"How many Katniss's do you know?" I ask sitting down.
"True. You think it's really her?" He asks hopefully.
"Yeah. And I know how rich her family is. At least her new family. I've been watching her stepdad for awhile. Vice President at the Honda plant, making $30 dollars an hour. They will pay whatever we want for her to come home safe."
"When are we doing this?" He asks.
"As soon as we can get her alone. Thanks to Peeta." I hold up the phone "we have clarified that this is her. I saw her face when we got her bag."
"Okay, but we need to hurry." He says. Seneca and myself have already planned this, it's just putting it into action.
"Yes we do." I say. I take a white rise from the vase and I smell it. It smells unlike me and Seneca. But I don't mind. It smells pure, the color it represents. I smile evilly.