Part Fifteen: The Storm

The person runs towards me and I see it is actually Katniss. She runs up to me and I put my arms around her.
"Where did you go?" I ask and another roll of thunder shakes the ground.
"Well, I chased the cat and then when I lost her, I turned around and hit a tree. I might still have medicine in my blood but I don't feel crazy anymore." She says. I can tell by the way she talks that she is telling the truth.
"Come on." She says taking my hand and running in the opposite direction of the house. I actually have my phone this time. We run until we get to the lake that we were at earlier today. She runs a little to the left of it and I see a little house. We run in, our clothes soaking wet, and she releases my hand. I feel disappointed when she does. I will just have to let Gale have her won't I? I sigh.
"Hey, do you have your phone?" She asks. I pull it out of my pocket and hand it to her. She dials a number and starts talking.
"Prim? Hey we got caught in the storm.... You know the house by the lake... Mom is home... Well I always kept some things here incase I got stuck hunting.... Tell her we will stay here.... No that won't happen... Prim I'm 16... Okay, I will see you in the morning... I love you... goodnight." And she hangs up the phone, handing it back to me. She walks to the other side of the room to an old fire place. She pulls out a matcha and some dry firewood, starting a good fire. Now that she is normal, I feel awkward. I don't know if I want to stay her with her alone when she isn't crazy. She grabs a sleeping bag and a pillow.
"Here." She says and hands it to me. There is no more pillows or sleeping bags.
"What about you?" I ask.
"I only planned for one since it's usually just me." She shrugs.
"Come here." I walk to the fire and sit down. She stands above me but I pull her down by her hand. She sits next to me. Thunder rolls and lightning flashes. I'm interested by storms. I get in the sleeping bag and make her get in mith me. We are very close, but I feel comfortable. I hope she goes too. She lays right next to me shivering. I warp my arms around her and hold her.
"You still cold?" I ask after a few minutes.
"No. Thank you." She says and we sit there for a few more minutes in silence.
"You should take off your sweatshirt. She will freeze if you keep that on. And your socks are soaking wet." I tell her. I get out of the sleeping bag when she takes her shirt off, leaving her in a T-Shirt. And she take off her socks. I notice a little hole in the sleeping bag so I slip my hands in and grab her frozen feet, rubbing them, trying to get some warmth back into them. I see Katniss smile.
"Thanks Peeta. But my feet aren't the problem anymore. Now I'm cold again." She says and I understand since she is in a t-shirt. It says mockingjays on it. A high school spirit shirt. I go back to her and grab her shirt, looking at the bird. That's when I notice how close my hands are to her breasts and I drop them.
"I am so sorry Katniss."
"It's okay. I know you didn't mean anything. You were just looking at my shirt." She shrugs. There is a silence.
"Katniss, can I ask you something?"
"Sure."
"Last night, when we were in the tree, did you mean what you said?" I know it's a risk to ask it but I do. She takes her time.
"I don't know. Maybe not. I just... Gale told me... And I was really confused at that time. I know I love Gale." She says and my heart sinks. But I remember when she was in that hospital and the prayer I had said. How it didn't matter if she was with me or not, just so she was okay.
"But I love you too. You have been so amazing to me." She adds and I smile a little. "What about you? Were you lying?"
"Did you believe me?" I ask and she nods. "Then you believed a lie. Katniss, I don't know why I'm choosing now to pour my heart out to you but I am. I have watched you since you came to the college and I haven't worked up the nerve to talk to you. But now I am. I love you Katniss. I may not have loved you as long as Gale but that doesn't mean I don't love you more and-" I rant but am cut off. She kisses me. SHE kisses ME. She pulls away.
"You don't have to explain yourself to me. I'm relieved. When we kissed at the game, I was so scared to ask you about it. I thought you only did it to shut the crowd up. But when I kissed you, it was because I had feeling for you." She says. I lean in and kiss her again.
***Katniss's POV***
He puts his lips to mine and I feel electricity. Something I haven't felt in a while and I find myself wanting more of it. I feel a stirring in my chest and I kiss him more. He ends up falling back and I hover over him, never breaking the kiss. I open my mouth to to breath and he slips his tongue in. This comes as a shock to me, but I like this feeling too. Maybe even more. He places his hands on my waist and my hands slips, landing on his hip. I think of moving it, but I don't. My arm becomes weak anyways and I fall on top of him, but he barely seems to notice. I kiss him more, laying on top of him. He moves his hands around my hip, to my butt and I moan a little. I hope her didn't notice. I move my hands up his chest and he squeezes me a little, removing his lips from mine and moving to my neck. His kisses are light but deep. I can't help but moan this time. He slowly works his way back to my mouth and we both find our way back into the sleeping bag. I don't stop kissing and we somehow get even closer in the bag. I don't know how much we sleep that night. We just keep kissing and holding each other.