Guitar Lessons (Ch. 7)

After school, Colton headed to the gym with his friends, and of course Britt. For the rest of the day Colton didn't bother Maya, like she told him to.

Colton sat under the weight. He lifted it up as his friends watched him. Colton would always be the only one to lift up this very weight.

"Woohoo, baby!" Britt yelled.

"God, I just want to abandon her..." Colton thought. Colton's heart raced. His muscles flexed. His face turned red. Maya... Colton was close to dropping the weight when her name popped into his head. His friends quickly grabbed the weight and placed it on the ground. Colton sat up and looked down at the ground.

"Dude, what happened?" Tray asked

"I-I don't know." Colton shrugged.

"Man, I know that you have to sit next to that bitch in detention tomorrow, but don't think about it." Quinton said. Colton shot him a look.

"She's not a bitch. She's just... Confused about how powerful she thinks she is. She doesn't know who she's dealing with." Colton said.

"Come on. She is a bitch. Give Quinton this one!" Britt whined.

Colton ignored their statement and took a sip of his water.

It was then next day. At the end of the day, the two went to detention. Colton sat in a seat, his feet on the table. Maya walked in and gave the slip to the teacher who would be watching all the students. She sat next to Colton, then pulled out a book. Colton looked at her.

"The vice principal said we had to talk this all out." Colton said. Maya ignored, continuing to read 'Tidal' by Amanda Hocking. "You read?"

Maya nodded, then turned the page. There was a silence. "What's it about?"

"Stop asking questions. You're pissing me off." Maya whispered.

"Geez. Someone's on her period." Colton snorted. Maya kicked him under the table, and Colton winced.

"You two okay over there?" the teacher asked.

"Never better." Colton said sarcastically.

There was another silence. Colton yawned and stretched, and Maya could smell his cologne brushing off his skin and clothes. "How many more minutes?"

"55, Mr. Adams. You just got here." the teacher replied, grading papers for his algebra class.

"Right, right." Colton nodded, then cleared his throat. Some girls across the room were talking and staring at Colton. Colton smirked at them, and they all started squealing.

"Quiet!" The teacher yelled at the girls. The girls fell silent, and Maya looked up at Colton.

"You're such a flirt. It's sick." Maya rolled her eyes.

"Why are you so upset?" Colton asked.

"You got me in here. Right now I could be doing something more useful, like playing guitar or writing another little novel." Maya explained.

"You write, too? Man, how many things can you do?" Colton asked.

"More than you think. Now shut up." Maya told him, then looked back at her book. Colton sighed and tapped his foot on the ground.

"How about I make it up to you?" Colton asked. Maya looked up at him.

"I'm listening." Maya said.

"I'll take you somewhere?" Colton suggested.

Maya frowned, then looked back at her book. "No way. Not until I get an apology."

Colton never said sorry to someone in like 5 years. He did say the word, but he didn't really mean it. "Sorry."