Kendal (Ch. 9)

"I need your number, and we need to hang out." Maya demanded.

"Indeed, Maya. I see we have a lot in common." Kendal nodded.

Maya examined her tumblr-like room. Plan white walls, LED Christmas lights were hung upon them, a white desk, a brown bed, and a fuzzy white carpet to top it all off.

"So... You have any friends?" Maya asked.

"Not really. I have some acquaintances," Kendal started, then stood up and walked to her violin. "I guess i'm a little too weird to handle."

"It's good to be different, sometimes stand out of the crowd. How come your brother is like the most popular guy in school, but you seem like the most simplest girl?" Maya questioned.

"I am not simple. Colton thinks of me as an embarrassment." Kendal scoffed. She picked up her violin and positioned it under her chin. "So Britt doesn't like you?"

"Obviously. We both hated each other from the start, anyway. She's just a greedy and an inconsiderate high self-esteemed human being." Maya said in disgust, making a face as if she saw the most disgusting thing in the world.

"So how do you feel about my brother with her?" Kendal asked.

"Is this some kind of quiz to see if i'm good enough for you?" Maya asked.

"Answer the question." Kendal said before playing a note on the violin.

"He has to be an idiot. Britt doesn't even know how to use a calculator!" Maya said, raising her voice.

"I was expecting you to say that you didn't care... What's up, man?" Kendal asked, then put down her violin, paying better attention to the conversation.

"Please don't think I like Colton. He's screwed up anyway."

"I wouldn't say he's screwed up. I mean, since i'm his sister and he's my brother, I shouldn't really say that stuff about him. But you know, he has his ways and he's a partier at heart, and he could sometimes be a jackass when he wants... And obnoxious... And a drinker... And a player... Sure, he can be screwed up sometimes, but not most of the time." Kendal explained.

"Oh, so did I hear he was a player? So he's using Britt?" Maya asked, pretending she had no idea.

"Well, yeah. Just don't tell Britt. Again, I love him and all that... But he can sometimes be screwed up." Kendal said.

"Right, right. Sometimes. For a guy who might get aids." Maya shrugged.

"True, but he'll change. You're just like him so I dunno...! He might be in love with you! And I honestly don't accept Britt dating my brother. But I could just see you two dating! Think about it!" Kendal squealed.

Maya's jaw was dropped. She thought Colton was a cool, hot, sneaky, and great guy, but she never really wanted to date him. "I could never fall for someone like him."

"That's because you havent properly met him." Kendal said, staring deep into her eyes.

"Keep thinking that. The funny part is that it will never happen." Maya laughed.

Outside of the room, there was giggling from Britt, and a husky voice owned by Colton. He was probably flirting with her. Maya let out a deep sigh and looked back at Kendal.

"But you should never judge a book by its cover." Maya added.

"Exactly. But most people don't see that, like Britt... She brings the party out of Colton. Peer pressure, man!  What if drugs get involved? I don't want my brother to be doing that shit!"  Kendal whispered.

Maya respected Kendal. She was a little bit like Maya if she gets ticked off, and she cared that much about her brother. Maya nodded, then stood up. "I should head home."

The two exchanged numbers real quick. Maya walked out of her room slowly. She closed the door behind her and turned a corner to go downstairs, but the two "lovebirds" were about to walk into the hall.

"I'm going. My mom is probably wondering where I am after like 2 hours." Maya explained.

"Good. No one wants to see your face." Britt scoffed.

"Why can't Kendal take you?" Colton asked.

"My car is out of gas! Dad has to take it out!" Kendal yelled, coming out of her room. Maya guessed that was a lie, which it was.

"Fine. Britt, stay here." Colton ordered.

"Why do I have to stay?" Britt asked.

"I don't want you to judge where she lives. I mean, you live in a private area." Colton pointed out.

Maya took offense to that.

"You're right." Britt smiled. "I guess i'll see you after."

Britt pulled him in for a kiss, and Maya took a step back. The sounds... The-the intensity of it... Maya couldn't take it.

"Will you guys just quit it before I cut your tongues off?" Maya asked. Colton pulled away quickly and took Maya's wrist.

"You're right. Come on. Let's go." Colton said as if he were in a rush. They both went downstairs and Colton swiftly grabbed his keys and they went out the door.

"What's the rush?" Maya asked.

"I wanna get away from that freak." Colton mumbled.

"Oh, I understand." Maya smirked as they got into the car quickly.

Colton drove off, and his adams apple bobbed up and down as he gulped. "I'm so glad i'm away from her. Do you understand how clingy she is?!"

"I bet she isn't that bad." Maya snickered. Colton stopped the car in the middle of the road.

"You're kidding me... We can argue right here, right now that this girl is a freak!" Colton said, looking over at her.

"Start driving, man. I was just teasing. But I do agree, your life sucks." Maya laughed.

Colton shook his head and ran his hand through his hair. He started driving. He stopped in front of her house.

"Thanks for being nice to me for like the second time." Maya said, trying to avoid his eyes.

He gripped the steering wheel. "You're gonna have to repay me." Colton said.

"What do you want me to do?"

He silenced. "I'll think about it."

"Okay, then." Maya said, then was about the close the door.

"Wait." Colton barked. She looked at him. He smirked. "See you later, lemon."

Maya rolled her eyes and shut the door. She ran inside with her guitar, then watched Colton drive away once she got in. That boy...

***

A/N: Kendal to the side.