A Big Mistake (Ch. 18)

A/N: One last short chapter before I go to sleep.

***

Being afraid of heights

isn't as scary as

falling in love

~

They got into the movies and sat down at the very top.

"Stop hogging the popcorn." Colton snapped.

"I'm a lady who loves her food." Maya said, then hugged the bag.

Colton snatched it from her and spilled some on the ground. "Mine."

Maya tried to get comfortable in her seat as the cinema got packed. The movie started, and Maya kept squirming in in the cinema chair. Colton slowly looked over at her.

"You having a seizure or something?" he asked.

"I can't get comfortable. These seats are freaking horrible." Maya replied, then put her hand in the popcorn bag.

"Just calm down and-"

"Shhh!" a lady snapped.

Colton and Maya chuckled.

Through the middle of the movie, it got kinda boring, so the two talked.

"Loving the new job." Colton smirked. You couldn't really see his face because it was so dim, but you could still see his shining white teeth.

"Raya forced me to take it. She thinks it's her dream job." Maya said, then put her head back.

"You talk to your mom?" he asked.

"Yeah. How about you?"

"Not yet."

"Why not?"

"I don't think it's time." he shrugged.

"It's like you're about to have a baby." Maya chuckled.

"Your baby." Colton added with a goofy voice.

He poked her side and she squirmed one way. Then he did it again. Again. And again. Maya tilted her head back, laughing.

"Colton, stop! We're in the theater!" Maya snapped, snickering.

"It's not like we're having sex." Colton said, the gave her one last poke.

"There are children in here! Gosh!" Maya yelled at him as quiet as she could, almost getting into his face.

"In a rated R movie? I don't think so." Colton whispered, his face almost in the crook of her neck. "Let me ask you a question; do you enjoy teasing?"

"No, and it's not happening." Maya said, the pushed him away as she grinned. Colton grinned back and looked at the screen.

On their way home, they talked as Colton drove.

"Did you like the movie?" Colton asked.

"I'm the more horror kind of person. That wasn't horror. That was just girl basically shooting up a school but without guns." Maya explained.

"Okay true." Colton snickered.

"When are you gonna break up with Britt?" Maya asked.

"Why are you rushing?" He smirked as he made a turn.

"Everyone hates her. And she appears out of nowhere all the time." she explained.

"That's kinda true."

"Kinda? It is true! She breaks into your house!"

They made it to Maya's house. He looked over at the brunette next to him. "Want me to walk you in?"

"Nah, I'm good." Maya assured.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Positive. Also, thanks so much. If you ever wanna do this again, never tickle me or i'll kick your ass." Maya said.

Colton grinned. "It wont happen again," he said. His smile fell, "Just not in the theatre."

Maya chuckled, and met his eyes. They were dark. Very dark. Something about them were bright, though. His hair was messier than usual. The way she looked at him didn't last long until his lips pressed against hers.

He was softer and gentle than the other time they kissed when he was drunk.  But that didn't really count as a real kiss. This was a real kiss.

She found his hand on her shoulder, and his other on her cheek. Maya's stomach began to erupt with butterflies. His hands were on her. His lips were on hers. Could it get any worse? Maya suddenly found a cloud above her. The cloud started to rain out negative thoughts. One after another. Memories basically punched her in the face. Her ex boyfriend who cheated on her. Who was a player. A bad ass. Handsome. Sweet when he feels like it. Exactly like Colton.

Maya pulled away, then looked out the window as tears formed in her eyes. She didn't want this moment to remind her of him.

"Maya..." Colton whispered. She turned around to face him and the looks of the tears falling down her cheeks almost made Colton stop breathing. He didn't know it would hurt her. "Maya, tell me what I did. What ever I did, I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"I knew it would happen. I tried not to let it, though." Maya said, then sniffled. She looked back at the window.

"Wait... Maya, tell me." Colton said.

"I don't want it to happen again. The same thing my ex did to me... He was so important to me." Maya said, starting to whisper.

"But it would never happen with me!"

"You already cheated."

"What do you mean?"

"Britt."

He fell silent.

"You knew I was going to break up with her, though!" he said after a while.

"But she's still a human being. Even though she acts like a bitch and no one likes her, doesn't mean  you can still cheat," Maya explained. "What if that was me?"

Maya finally looked at him since he wouldn't respond. His head was tilted back as he rubbed his hands against his face. He looked at her, his eyes suddenly full of storm and regret. There was nothing bright and twinkly about them anymore. "I'm a bad person, lemon. I screw up everything."

"You don't screw up everything."

"I should've listened to you," he ignored her statement. "I don't think I should even be here."

"I just didn't want the mistake to happen again. I'm still afraid, Colton." Maya said, then turned back around. She bit on her nail and sniffled one last time.

"What if you meet the person you will start a family with? Will you just let that chance go by just saying that? That you don't want the same mistake to happen with the guy you love?" Colton asked.

Maya bit her bottom lip. "I hate California." she blurted. She heard Colton sigh. Then she realized she just said an insult. "I'm sorry."

"I hate it too." he replied. He nodded, staring outside. He sighed again, then itched his nose.

"Tell her." Maya said.

"What..?"

"Tell Britt what you did. It will get you what you wanted." Maya explained, then opened the car door. She hopped out and started to walk up her driveway.

"Bye." Colton mumbled after she made it to her front door.

***

A/N: I'm sorry is all I have to say.

I LOVE YOU ALL!