Dinner (Ch. 26)

I ask myself everyday,

what did I ever see in you?

~

"Citizenship. Citizenship. Massachusetts. Massachusetts. Massachusetts. Massachusetts. Massechushits... Massechusits..." Raya repeated, training her speech for those words. She looked over at Maya, who was putting in her locker combo, not paying attention to Raya. "Those are so hard to say.."

"Hm?" Maya asked, looking over at her once she opened her locker.

Raya's jaw dropped. "You weren't listening to me? Maya, that was so hard to pronounce!"

"It's not that hard." Maya shrugged.

"Oh yeah? Say Massachusetts." Raya pressed.

"Mashechusets..." Maya said, then looked at the wall.

"I told you." Raya rolled her eyes, and leaned against the locker.

"So what's with you and Colton?" Raya asked.

Maya smiled a little and shoved her chemistry book in her backpack. "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Raya groaned.

Maya started walking to the cafeteria with Raya. "I don't really know, once again."

"Just explain what happened."

"Okay, so i'm attracted to him..."

"Like every girl is." Raya said.

"No, but really.. He likes me back," Maya said, "and when he dropped me off, he refused to kiss me. It's like the total opposite now. He said he wants me to feel what he felt before."

"I think it's fair." Raya shrugged.

"What do you mean? It's like torture, only in your heart." Maya said, placing her hand over her chest.

Raya gave her a look of disappointment. "It's totally fair! I mean, you basically hurt this guy's heart when he finally fell in love with someone. Like, actually fell in love. Not like sleep with the person and let them go after."

"Don't.. Bring that up." Maya pleased. She bit her lip and sat down at one of the lunch tables. Raya sat in the seat in front of her, leaning in awfully close.

"Hey, so I gotta tell you something." Raya whispered.

"I don't have all day. I'm human and I must feed on greens and meat."

"Well," Raya started, whispering, "Quinten is going out with Britt."

"Like I give a single fuck." Maya laughed out loud.

In a second, someone pressed against Maya's side. She looked over.

"What's so funny?" Colton asked.

"Politics," Raya screamed. A few people looked at her and Raya blushed a little. She shot her head back at Colton, "Hey."

Colton nodded slowly and whispered to Maya, "I don't like her."

"She's strange. But I love her." Maya replied.

"Why are you even her friend?"

"She seemed lonely at first... but she grew on me." Maya shrugged her shoulders, and looked back at Raya. Raya was staring at the ceiling, her nostrils flared.

"You wanna come sit with me?" Colton asked.

"I can't just leave Raya like this." Maya said, gesturing to Raya who was stabbing her salad with her fork.