You Meet at Nick Grimshaw's

No matter that you didn’t have one famous or eloquent bone in your body, Nick would always invite you to his huge parties, music so loud you knew you’d lose your hearing within the night, enough alcohol to fill the English channel, and so many celebrities you just knew you’d make a fool of yourself and somehow appear on the cover of the next day’s gossip magazines. But that night had been different. He’d invited you over under the guise of “it’s a small thing, you know, intimate,” and having known him for the better part of your life you’d known he was keeping something from you. But you went anyway, happy to spend the time with him regardless.

And then you’d gotten there and he’d introduced you to his friend Harry, who looked equally as confused at the lack of people around—just the three of you standing in the kitchen as Nick popped open a few beers and gestured to the movie room—and you’d immediately glared at Nick. You should have known—he was always trying to set you up—but this time it was different because, well, shoot. You actually agreed with him! Harry was completely charming in every way and you feared you’d have a hard time watching the movie instead of the way a dimple popped up on his cheek when he giggled uncontrollably at Nick’s stupid commentary or the way his curly quiff drooped in the late-night humidity or the way his eyebrows furrowed as the action got more intense.

But then, every time you found your eyes drifting over towards him, you found his eyes drifting towards you. Under any other circumstance you’d have found it awkward in the worst ways, but for some reason with Harry it was just funny. So funny you couldn’t help but giggle and slide a hand to your face, his chuckles signaling to you that he was enjoying it too. Nick mysteriously disappeared half-way through the movie, and you’d both made comments about it, noting his sly attempts to play match-maker. But you both agreed maybe it wasn’t so bad this time, maybe, you know.. for his sake you should try it out? I mean it only seemed the kind thing to do and, well, you know, it couldn’t hurt, could it?

You both rambled slowly over each other and laughed accordingly, loving the way the awkward was funny and the laughter was comfortable. Maybe it could work, you’d thought, and you’d never have guessed how right you were.