Terminally Ill and He's Your Last Kiss

Things had digressed quickly after the last rush to the hospital. This time you hadn’t bounced back like before. The terminal illness had taken it’s toll on your body and you had lost consciousness by the morning of the second day of your hospital stay that, thus far, had not ended. The doctors were kind, but honest, and when Harry had arrived they’d let him know immediately the gravity of the situation. His brow had furrowed, lips tightened, and shoulders broadened in a way that showed his denial of the inevitable. Only when he saw your sunken face and pale complexion had he realized how right they were. Taking his place beside your bed, he had not moved for days. Over the next few days he made sure you were as comfortable as possible, despite your lack of consciousness. Turning on your favorite TV shows, talking to you as if you were talking right back, and singing to you late into the night before he finally fell asleep slumped in his chair. 

And then, in a frenzy of beeps and warnings and fear, the downhill slide became even steeper and there wasn’t much time left. The doctors told him to prepare himself because you’d be leaving soon and left him to say goodbye. He looked up to your face, his eyes full and red, his cheeks wet, his lips plump from sobs. He gently took your hand before breaking into sobs again, laying his head on your lap and heaving for air. “You can’t leave me- you can’t.” he had sobbed. “You’re my best friend. You’ve been so strong. You can’t give up now. My heart is aching and there is nothing I can do to stop it. There’s nothing I can do to save you and I feel so helpless. We could have had a future. We.. we could have been something.” he gets choked up and can’t speak for a moment. “I.. I’ve always loved you. Not just as my best friend. But.. I just.. I just didn’t know how to say it and I was scared. Of this. Of losing you. And now I really am and I don’t think I can bear to see you go right before my eyes. I didn’t want to tell you before because I didn’t want to upset you. And now I would give anything to see you upset with me one more time. Now I would give anything just to have you respond to me at all. I don’t know why I didn’t say anything. I.. I don’t know why!” he sobs, fisting the handles of the bed and flexing is muscles.

“I.. love you too.” your weak voice squeaks out. His head snaps up.

”.. Kate?” he stutters. A very small smile plays at your face.

“I love you too, Harry. I always have.”

“Kate—” he exclaims, quickly standing and leaning over your bed. Your eyes struggle to open, even the slits that they are. “Can you hear me, love?” Harry asks, staring intently into your emaciated face.

“Yes.” you whisper, struggling to talk. “But I’m going.. Harry. I can’t fight it any longer.”

“No, you can. You can fight it. You are stronger than this.” Harry says, tears falling onto the bed below.

“It’s.. it’s okay, Hazzah. Let me go.” you sigh, your body shaking.

“I will never let you go.” he responds with intensity.

“I.. I’ve always wanted..” you try to speak.

“What, babe, what is it?” Harry encourages.

“I’ve always wanted.. for you to be my last kiss.” you whisper and grin as best you can.

“I can arrange that.” he says, frantically wiping his eyes. Very gently, he leans down and brushes a kiss on your forehead. 

“Is that.. all you’ve got, Styles?” you try to play. He whimpers a laugh amidst his tears before gingerly giving you the most precious kiss you’ve ever experienced. One that means more than any passionate kiss you may have experienced in your life.

“That’s better.” you stutter out before closing your eyes completely again.

“Kate… Kate?” he asks, looking up to the monitors that have started beeping rapidly again. “Nurse! Nurse!” he frantically calls. The next few harrowing minutes go by in slow motion for him as he stands in the middle of the room and doctors and nurses rush around him. Before he knows it, you’re gone, nothing more than an empty shell, and he’s left alone to face life without you by his side— as his best friend or something more. You’re gone. Forever. And he doesn’t know if his heart will ever recover.