He Gets Jealous and You Fight

Being in a relationship with Harry had always been fun, exciting, and romantic, and now a year into it you had many, many wonderful memories to reflect on. But, lately things had been kind of weird. Not bad, really, just kind of uncomfortable and awkward and blah, like when you’re trying to give someone a hug and both lean your head to the same side. A nice idea, but a weird fit, an awkward moment, a feeling of out-of-practice. You suspected it wouldn’t last, but it still felt awful to be in such a strange place with Harry, and you longed for it to get back to normal.

Hoping to expedite the process you ruffle his hair as he lounges on the couch watching television.

“Want to run to the market with me?” you ask hopefully.

“Nah.. want me to make dinner while you’re out?” he asks absentmindedly.

“Uh.. yeah. Sure.” You reply, trying to sound upbeat. He stands and gives you a flat kiss before turning off the TV and walking towards the kitchen. You sigh as you watch him stride away. His intentions are good, and so are yours. It just feels different.

After a few parting words you leave the house and make your way towards the corner market. You stop to peruse the flowers being sold on the street in front of the florist shop and smile at all of the beautiful colors. Curious about a particular bloom you’ve never seen, you tap the arm of the employee standing beside you to inquire about the name, but stop short when you realize who it is—your ex.

“Paul!” you spout fondly, and he returns the gesture while pulling you into a hug. “I feel like it’s been forever.” You smile, pulling away.

“It has!” he smiles. “You look…” he starts, politely taking in your appearance, “Well even better than I remember. I’ve missed you. How are you?” 

You grin, appreciating his charm and tact, remembering many of the reasons you were so in love with him, and saddening as you remember the reasons you weren’t. They seemed so petty now.

“I’m good—I’m really good. So much has changed. How are you?” you say, your eyes genuinely happy to see him, but fighting emotions that are only being exemplified by this interaction.

“Life is great. I’m doing what I love. Mom’s cancer is in remission. She still talks about you, you know.” He laughs, finishing adjusting the stalks in front of him. You smile wide.

“Wow—that’s great! I miss her.. I’d love to see her. Where is she living now?” you ask.

“Same place, yeah. Same place. Couldn’t be persuaded to leave her garden.” He chuckles and you laugh knowingly. 

“Well, I, uh, I need to go, I think. Running to the market.” You nod.

“Oh, sure, sure.” He smiles caringly. “Let’s do coffee sometime and catch up, yeah?” he asks, a familiar twinkle in his eye. You nod again.

“Yeah.. that’d be nice.” You smile and begin backing away.

“Here, take this. I know it’s your favorite.” He grins, handing you a sunflower. Your eyes perk up and you grin. “Thanks! That’s really sweet of you. I’ll.. I’ll see you soon.”

“See you.” He replies, giving a short wave, and you do the same.

On the walk back to your flat, you ponder the easy butterflies that came, the memories uncovered, the genuine joy you saw in Paul’s face. It’s not that you want to go back to him, at least not yet, it’s just that you miss having that with Harry. It used to be like that every day, every morning. And you can’t figure out what had changed. It’s like Harry just wasn’t interested anymore, like he stopped trying so hard. You still love him, no doubt, but that’s what makes it so painful. You sigh as you enter the flat and drop your purse to the floor, kicking your shoes off. You drop the bags off on the counter, and search for a small vase for your flower.