He Hurts Your Feelings

"Babe, I’m so sorry.." he’d frown, realizing the impact of his words almost before he’d finish saying them. The look— that look— he’d know it better than he’d know the words to his own songs. He’d hurt you, and regardless of whether or not he believed the words he’d said, they didn’t matter anymore.

Your head would turn away from him, embarrassed by the tears stinging at your eyes because, well, why did it have to hurt so much? It was just one thing, one comment, it shouldn’t be a big deal. And yet the tears would brim, one blink away from sending trails of hurt down your face. You hated it— hated the fact that someone’s words could break you so quickly. Where was the strength in that? 

His arms would cocoon you faster than you could pull away, his murmurs broken and sad. "I’m sorry, babe, I’m really so sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking— I’m sorry." You’d be able to tell in his voice that he was sincere, but it’d still hurt. It’s funny how the deepest hurts come at the most unexpected times by the people you love the most. But, you’d figure the only reason it’d be able to cut so deep was because you’d let him inch his way so far into your heart. No one else could reach there because no one else loved you the same way, no one else had access to those secret, tender parts of your soul.

And he’d seem to know just how reckless he’d been because his apology would sound different than others. Yeah, it was the same old “sorry,” but beneath it would be a deeper remorse for handling those fragile parts of you without care— tossing them aside and forgetting the privilege of seeing them in the first place.

But, somehow he’d always make it alright— you’d know the sincerity of his pleas, and with his arms around you and his face buried in your neck it was easy to understand, even in your hurt, why and how and what the hurts were in his own heart. And remembering that— that he had his own set of deep, fragile parts to his heart— would help you forgive. That, and the fact that he’d just cling to you for as long as it took to make you feel safe again. Yeah, he’d messed up, and he’d do it again. But you’d be his girl, and he’d do whatever he must to be careful with your heart, to make you feel safe, secure, and loved.