Cold Noses and Christmas Trees [Christmas]

Your nose nearly pressed to the glass of the window in excitement as you pulled up to the tree lot in the middle of the vacant plot beside the grocery. Old fashioned lights draped from post to post, illuminating the trees in a sort of aerial fence. A mug steamed in the hands of the man bundled up inside the wooden shack, wreaths hung haphazardly all over the makeshift wood. Despite the frozen air, he seemed to be happy in his drafty station, and his eyes seemed to twinkle… almost like Santa Claus. You smiled as you looked up at the sign hanging above his open window: “Johnson Christmas Trees – Fresh Pines Sold Here!

You couldn’t help but giggle as you slid your gloves on and hopped out of the car. Picking out a Christmas tree was one of your favorite parts of Christmas.

“Excited?” Harry asked with a small grin as he rounded the car and reached to grab your hand.

“So excited,” you grinned back, squishing yourself into his side as you started to walk towards the man-made forest. You loved that even though Harry didn’t have nearly as many wonderful memories tied to picking out a Christmas tree, he still got excited because he knew how much it meant to you.

His hand quickly moved from clutching yours to tucking around your back in response to your smashing yourself into his side. You grinned up at him as you slid your arm around him too, to which he chuckled and playfully kissed your nose.

“Maybe we should just get a fake one..” he played, chuckling into your face.

“How dare you even say such a thing,” you chuckled back, too happy to even pretend to be mad.

His wide smile caused him to laugh out loud and look back in front, hugging you a little closer as you began to enter the maze of trees.

Soon your excitement caused you to bounce off to observe the trees more closely as you giddily searched for the perfect one—you know, one without any holes or lopsided trunks or general lack of magic. It had to be just right. Harry decided to be a nuisance, as always, and kept suggesting trees that were just the opposite, trying to scare you from behind the big fluffy ones, and insisting that he was a much better measuring stick than the pole you were carrying around. Secretly, he did find it rather funny that when you got separated he could always find you by the towering PVC pipe you were clutching dancing over the tops of the trees. It did make it much easier to sneak up on you and scare you so you’d make that silly face that he loved so much with your nose all crinkled up in laughter and your eyes trying so hard to narrow in anger, but failing miserably. Man, he did love that face…

“Harry!!” you called, making him turn around fast enough to almost throw him off balance. Not that that was hard.

“What?” he chuckled, walking back towards you.

“I’ve found it.. it’s perfect,” you grinned, staring at the tree. It was just one of those things… when you saw the perfect tree, it just clicked and you knew. That was the one.

Harry smiled and wrapped his arms around your chest and back on themselves, his chin resting on your shoulder as he looked over it at the tree. His cologne smelled all warm and cozy to your nose, and it was one of the things that made you want to cuddle up in his arms and never leave, ever. You hooked your hands on his forearms where they lay across your chest, nodding your temple into his.

“Whaddya think?” you asked.

“I think you know more about this sort of thing than I do. So if you think it’s perfect, then I’m sure it is,” he chuckled.

“Good answer, because I do and it is,” you quietly sassed, which made him laugh. You turned in his grasp and leaned back a bit into his hold, fixing his scarf and brushing a curl or two out of his face. His eyes stayed on yours as you did so, and you knew what was coming. It was so obvious with him, because he really did wear his heart on his sleeve. The way he looked at you made it obvious how much he genuinely loved you, and you tried not to take it for granted. Even above how lovely it made you feel in the moment, you tried to appreciate it on a grand scheme too. Not everyone had that kind of affection shown to them in such real ways.

And just as you’d expected, his face started to move towards yours, so your palms found his cheeks as he leaned in, which made him smile against your lips.

“Mmm… I love you,” he chuckled before giving you a slow kiss.

“I love you too,” you chuckled back.

“Guess we found our tree, then,” he murmured, lips still so close you weren’t even sure if you were kissing or not.

“Guess so,” you whispered.

“Think we should tie it up then?” he continued, arms clutching and eyes fixed on your lips.

“Mhmm..” you mumbled, grinning at his forced conversation. You knew it was only because he wanted to stay that way for as long as he could without having to think about the reality of hauling the tree back and tying it up and driving all the way home before he could have you in his arms again.

You laughed as he kissed you again.

“Whaaat?” he drawled, all slow and deep.

“You’re pathetic,” you giggled, kissing him right back.

“It’s your fault,” he played blame.

“Well I like it, so I guess that’s alright,” you chuckled before cinching your arms around his neck and stuffing your face there. It felt good as a shield against the cold.

“Heeyyy.. your nose is cold,” he complained, but the way his arms held you closer and the breath sighed out of his lungs gave away his true feelings, just like always. He was totally smitten, and not even cold noses pressed up against his neck would ever be able to change that.