Bad Day Cuddles

Harry had been so excited when the promo tour ended a few days earlier than planned so he could come home and surprise you, but when he got there and found you curled up asleep on the couch with your favorite blanket and a few snotty tissues clutched in your hands, he'd known something was up.

"Babe.." he spoke softly at first, stooping to sit on the edge of the couch. "Babe-" he repeated with a gentle touch to your shoulder.

Your eyes, all puffy and red, squeezed open a sliver. "Harry?" you asked, mind confused with sleep.

"Surprise," he gave you a small smile.

"Oh my g-Harry-" you mumbled, sitting up quickly and throwing your arms around his neck, your face finding the warmth of his neck as you held on for dear life for no particular reason other than the fact that in that moment, somehow it really did feel like you were holding on for dear life, because Harry always had this way of making terrible things seem not so terrible, and you weren't sure if he didn't do that this time if you'd survive.

His long arms immediately wrapped around you in response. "Hi," he gave sort of a sad smile as he glanced down to your head, holding you firmly.

But you weren't really able to reply, because for some reason seeing him was overwhelming in all the best and worst ways, and made all the terrible feelings from earlier come crashing back in, causing tears to welt out of your eyes and your chest to heave ever so slightly.

"Aw, babe.." Harry sighed, a hand moving up and down your back.

"I'm-I'm sorry," you sniffed, trying to hold in your shaky voice. "I don't mean to ruin your homecoming, I just-I-" you tried to apologize, but your voice cracked again and got lost somewhere too far down your throat.

Harry pulled back and forced you to look at him, his hand brushing back the hair from your face and thumb resting on your cheek. "What happened?" His stare was intense and concerned, brows furrowing more as he saw your tears. He was a softie like that, always getting cloudy-eyed when he saw the tears in yours.

"I just... I.. it's just been a tough week," you managed to get out before sucking in your bottom lip and looking down to keep yourself from a fresh wave of tears. "I didn't know you were coming home so soon, I didn't mean to be like this when you got here-" you tried to explain, but he cut you off.

"Don't even say that, love, it's okay," his voice spoke lowly and calmly, pulling you back towards himself. "It's okay."

The way his deep voice rumbled from his chest to yours made you feel better and cry a bit harder all at the same time. You'd never gotten over just how genuinely he cared.

"Come on," his spoke quietly as he hoisted you up with himself as he stood. You hooked your legs around his waist as he started for the stairs.

You couldn't bear to remove your face from his neck until he deposited you on the bed so he could strip out of the clothes he'd been traveling in. It occurred to you in that moment that he was probably exhausted from his excursions and ready for a nice, hot shower and lots of sleep, but instead he was crawling into bed next to you, ready for his shirt to become your own personal handkerchief. It was just like him to find your problems so much more important than his own.

As he shoved off his socks and slid under the covers next to you, despite the pain in your heart, you had an overwhelming since of home. And that caused even more tears to come, soft and hot and rolling down your cheeks without a hand to swipe them away as you stared at him. "I love you," you almost whispered, words caught in tears.

He paused from plugging his phone in to charge and twisted to look at you. When he saw your pitiful state, he gave a small smile, understanding all the things you'd meant with that simple phrase. Quickly finishing his task, he turned over to face you and leaned over your quivering frame.

And instead of kissing your or trying to get you to snap out of it or even coaxing you to stop crying, he simply pulled you into his chest again and held you tighter than a kid to his lollipop. And that simple act somehow meant more than any words he could have said, because in those moments you were sure that he'd just sort of always be there, no matter what, ready to comfort you after a bad day even if it did mean "ruining his homecoming."