He Gets Jealous

“Here you go, mate. And what will your lady have?” the bartender says to Harry as he places a drink in front of him.

“Oh, no.. we’re not together.” you inform over the loud music.

“What?” he asks, cupping his ear with his hand.

“I said, ‘We’re not together!’” you shout a little louder, ignoring a glance from Harry. “But I’ll just have a club soda, thanks.” Just as you look over to him, he slides off the stool and disappears into the crowd. You shrug your shoulders and turn back towards the bar, waiting for your drink. “Must have had to use the toilet.” you think.

After a few minutes, he returns, a tipsy blonde on his arm. “Anna, meet Nicole. Nicole, meet Anna!” he says cheekily, obviously pleased with himself. “Hi.” she says smoothly.

“Hi.” you respond quickly and flatly before turning your attention to Harry. “What are you doing?” you shout above the music. 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” he yells back.

“I thought we were having a best friend date!” you reply.

“You aren’t together? Even better.” the other girl smiles slyly and runs a hand down his chest. He smiles down at her. “Nope!” he affirms. “We’re—” he says, looking straight at you, “Not together.” You furrow you brow and grab his arm in a motherly grip, pulling him away from the commotion of the bar. 

“Harry, what is up with you?” you spit after you’re in a quieter location. He sees your frustration and softens.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you so much.”

“It’s fine, I just— okay, it’s not really fine. I don’t understand why you’re being so weird about stuff tonight. Or really since the tour. It’s like ever since you got back things have been just.. weird. What’s going on?” you question, aggravated, but concerned.

He gets really quiet and awkwardly puts his hand to the back of his neck. “I, uh… I guess the reason is..”

You raise your eyebrows expectantly. He sighs. “Basically, like.. basically I’ve kind of.. fallen in love with you? And like.. I didn’t realize it until I was away and realized how much I missed you and how much I talked about you and.. the boys.. they’d been telling me for ages, and.. like.. I think I secretly agreed, but didn’t want it to mess up our friendship. Cause like.. you’re my best friend, you know, other than the boys.. and.. I don’t know, it all sounds so, like, weird.. when I say it.. out loud. I’m really sorry for acting so strange. I think I was trying to make you jealous. Or something stupid. I don’t even know anymore.” he rambles.

“Love me?” you verify.

“Well.. yeah.” he confirms and you nod slowly, silence filling the space between you.

“Do you want to say something?” he asks, obviously still nervous. You smile and place a hand to the side of his cheek.

“Harry, you’re my best friend— you know that— and nothing could ever change that. Ever. Not even this.”

“… sooo.. what exactly does that mean?” he asks, eyes showing a fear of rejection.

You smile. “It means.. no matter where we go from here, we’ll always be best friends.”

His brow furrows. “And..”

“And.. and I’m not really sure what I feel. But I’m willing to find out. Definitely willing to find out.” you say, a smile in your eye. “Unless you already have other plans with Nicole.”

He gives a small smile of relief and laughs. “No, no. No plans with Nicole.”

“Good.” you smile and plant a chaste kiss on his nose. “What do you say we turn this best friend date into a first date?” you ask, encouraging him despite your unsurities. 

“I could be persuaded.” he smiles and leads you back into the bar.

“Two club sodas. Together.” he proudly requests from the bartender, causing you to giggle and press your cheek against his arm.