Love at First Sight?

He hadn’t meant to stay, honestly, he’d just come to drop by Niall’s jumper that had somehow gotten mixed up in his suitcase somewhere between LA and Toronto. But then you’d been there and even though he didn’t believe in love at first sight, he was pretty sure that was the closest he’d ever gotten to it. It wasn’t even that you had particularly noticed him or done something to make a huge impression, it was just this feeling he got from being around you, even from the first moment you turned around and laid eyes on him. (“Oh hi!”) Your voice had been full of laughter, your eyes still squinting from something Niall had said as you’d thrust your hand out, the goofy atmosphere of Niall’s company obviously making you especially out-going. (“Hello!”) He couldn’t help but return the bright greeting, his eyes reflecting your giggles and his heart already feeling lighter as Niall came around from behind you with a cackle and began the introductions. Apparently you had been friends with Niall for a while and you were over for a barbeque and, well.. actually he didn’t hear much else of what Niall went on babbling about because he was all the sudden too concerned about if his shirt was clean and what state his messy curls were in and if he’d remembered to brush his teeth that morning—traveling has a way of making you forget about things that would otherwise be routine, you know. So he’d sort of shifted his weight and hoped you didn’t realize his sudden awareness of himself, his unexpected desire to appear confident and charming surely making him appear just the opposite. But he’d busied himself with watching how your eyes happily darted back and forth between he and Niall as you’d listened to Niall’s explanation of you and him and how he knew the both of you and all the stupid jokes he was sure Niall was making, even though he wasn’t listening. He nodded his head and laughed in the right places, but honestly his attention didn’t fully return until Niall offered to have him stay for dinner, to which, of course, he heartily agreed.

And man, was he excited when you proved to be more than just the gorgeous face that had originally drawn him in—your personality and sense of humor and even your little mannerism making him more curious about you with every flip of the burgers. And as far as he could tell, his shirt must have been clean enough and his hair must not have taken the wind too badly because you seemed to be enjoying yourself just as much as him, not even minding when Niall had to take a call in the other room. Honestly, though, the rest of the night had been somewhat of a blur of repeatedly hitting his head on the low-hung chandelier in the kitchen and laughing at all of Niall’s ridiculous comments and trying to keep his cool when Niall started (innocently) asking him questions about his last relationship. In fact, Niall had to remind him later about the plans they’d made together to go to Louis’ football match and how he happened with the burn on his left arm—apparently his grilling skills needed a little work though he hadn’t really had any recollection of the incident. His mind had been too concerned with how you’d actually laughed at his jokes and the way your hair fell about your face when you did. That, of course, made it all blatantly obvious to Niall what was going on, so he’d suggested that Harry call you. (“Just call her, mate. You’re like a lovesick puppy and it’s weird.”) So he’d sighed, his face all serious and concerned, pondering exactly what to do and what to say and how to act, fingers trailing his lips as he rehearsed the conversation he knew he must have in his head over and over again—must because he needed to—needed you. It actually took him a few days, but eventually he did call you and you, of course, had happily agreed to see him again—this time sans Niall. To be honest, you hadn’t really believed in love at first sight either. That is.. not until that night at Niall’s.