He Misses Touring

You smiled as you turned the corner, spotting Harry on the couch with hair still straggling around his face from a shower. You quickly giggled your way over and bounced up, knees placed on either side of him as your hands reached for his hair. His hands instinctively caught your waist as you bounded up and remained there as you giggled your fingers through his long hair.

“My favorite…” you chuckled as you began “styling” his hair. Harry chuckled with you, so it wasn’t until you lowered your head for a kiss that you realized something was wrong. As soon as your lips had met his, you’d been able to feel it. You pulled back and furrowed your brows.

“What?” he asked innocently enough, but now that you were finally looking right in his face it was even more obvious.

“What’s wrong?” you narrowed your eyes, not taking “nothing” for an answer.

Harry’s shoulders lowered with a sigh, his eyes wandering to the thumb he was brushing over the skin just under the hem of your shirt. Your hands fell to the tops of his shoulders and you sat back a little more. “I’m just a little, erm… sad, I guess,” he shrugged a shoulder, making you frown.

“About what?” you questioned, one of your hands finding its way to the side of his neck and your thumb his jaw.

He sighed again, closing his eyes and appreciating your touch for a moment before continuing. You could tell it wasn’t easy. He always did fight his own feelings of being upset because he often didn’t think they were rational or necessary. He liked the fact that you always made him feel validated in that way, because he knew he didn’t do it for himself enough.

“I’ve just been thinking…” he trailed, still not making eye contact. He seemed too busy fiddling with the bottom of your shirt to look at you, but you knew that wasn’t true. He never was good at eye contact when he was talking about hard things, especially when it was something about himself and what he’d been thinking or feeling. “I just… I guess I miss touring.”

You gave him a sympathetic smile. You’d thought about it before—how hard it must be for him to be living this crazy life of being in a different city every night, screaming girls, his best mates always around, the comradery of the crew, the excitement of live shows and interviews and promos, and then for it all to suddenly stop. Just like that. He didn’t talk about it much, but you figured adjusting back to normal life must be kind of difficult.

“I’m sorry,” you said quietly. “But you’ll be back at it again soon, yeah?” you shrugged a shoulder hopefully, referencing the next tour.

He worked a smile on his face, but you could tell he wasn’t quite feeling it. “Yeah, I guess. I’m just going to miss this tour. Every tour is different and… I’m just feeling nostalgic, that’s all. It’s alright.”

“Babe, it doesn’t always have to be alright. Sometimes things just suck,” you countered, trying to win his gaze.

“I know,” he muttered, still looking down at his fiddling hand.

“There’s something else..” you carefully prodded.

He sighed a laugh, simultaneously thankful for and annoyed by your perceptiveness, and flicked a glance up at you. “I just can’t help but keep thinking about…” he paused and looked down again, “Like… what if we’ve reached our peak? Every day that comes and goes could be it, could be the high point of our careers—I mean, it could have already happened even—and… we won’t even know until we’re down the other side of the mountain. We can’t know.”

“Harry…” you muttered, your hands spreading over his neck and thumbs brushing his cheeks. “You know you’re long from over. Long from over,” you repeated. “And Harry Styles isn’t someone who’s just going to fade into the woodwork, even if you wanted to. You’re literally too famous,” you tried to joke lightly.

He gave a very small chuckle. “Well, I mean… that’s not exactly what I meant. I know things have to change at some point, and I know change isn’t necessarily bad, just different. But..” he paused again, looking up at you. “I’m just not ready for different yet. I love what I do too much.”

“Aw, bud..” you frowned as you turned in his lap, scootching down to wrap your arms around his middle and place your head just under his chin. His arms easily slid around you and hooked together at his hands, his cheek meeting the top of your head. And you stayed like that for quite some time, no words really being said, maybe because they didn’t need to, or maybe because you just didn’t know what to say. But Harry didn’t seem to mind. In that moment, knowing that you’d be right there with him walking through whatever changes the future my hold was enough.