You Meet in a Bar

"This seat taken?" he asked, his usual politeness marred only by a contagiously flirty look.

You’d seen him eyeing you from across the room for the last hour and laughed at his darting, but persistent eyes. “Took you long enough.” you sarcastically replied.

He quirked his head as he looked down at you. “Is that a yes?”

"Yes." you responded flatly.

"Oh, well great." he smiled as he moved to sit, but you stopped him.

"As in yes, the seat is taken." you rose your eyebrows, your look making him take a step back.

"Oh.. sorry. I didn’t mean to—" he began, your mind having to focus extra hard not to let your lips turn up in a smile. He did look quite cute in his confusion, and you couldn’t deny how feverish your cheeks had felt under his watch. Truth was, the seat wasn’t taken, but you sort of had a rule with random guys approaching you. If you were being honest, the kind of guys that approached you out of nowhere at bars weren’t usually the type you wanted to be with. But this guy… he seemed a little different, somehow.

"I don’t want to get in the middle of anything, but, um.. you’re very pretty. He’s a lucky guy." he finished bumbling, and his kind-hearted compliment made your heart smile. He turned to walk away, but your hand caught his arm.

"Hey, wait—" you nodded back to the seat beside you, and his brows furrowed. "The, uh.. the seat’s not actually taken. I just.. I have a weird rule. About guys. In bars. You know," you tried to shrug your words off like it wasn’t a big deal. His tall, lanky frame easily slid onto the stool. 

"It’s alright.. rule?"

"Yes, rule." you halfway spit, still a bit unsure of his intentions, still enjoying a bit of sass. "I don’t trust everyone I set eyes on, that’s all. You shouldn’t either," you played, though your eyes began to show more flirt than sarcasm.

"Something about you I should know?" he smiled, leaning with his elbows on the bar.

You gave a small, quirky smile and turned back to your drink. “I just don’t want to make stupid decisions. Guys in bars tend to have a knack for making stupid decisions. Guys in general tend to have a knack for making stupid decisions.”

"You don’t think a bar is a good place to meet someone?" he asked, waiving the bartender down for a drink.

"I just find the intentions of those present usually aren’t those of a substantial nature," you countered, aloof and unimpressed.

"What are you.. waiting for some kind of Hercules?" he sassed back, eyes catching the dim lighting of the bar and making you chuckle.

"Maybe so," you nodded, letting the loudness of the crowded bar take up the silence in conversation for a brief moment. 

"Well.." he looked up at you again, "Do you think I’m making a stupid decision, then?"

You quietly laughed and met his eyes. “I don’t know… feeling strong?”