You're a Contestant on the X Factor

It’s been a whirlwind of a day between rehearsals and wardrobe and interview clips and filming, and you feel like it’s all happening so fast that in your mind it’s just kind of this blur of motion and colors and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. So much happened today that it feels like a week has passed since breakfast, which is both exciting and exhausting. 

You are the last to make your way backstage to gather your belongings from the dressing room since you’ve been out goofing around with some of the other contestants and crew that you’d grown close to over the course of the show instead of packing up to leave. You don’t mind though, appreciating the stillness of the air around you, the slight stale smell of the dressing room mixing with the quietness of the hour. The secluded setting stirs you to remember some of the events of the day, including all the extra excitement buzzing backstage because of One Direction being the guest artist for tonight’s show. Everyone had wanted to meet them, but with their tight schedule and need to stay focused, there wasn’t time for a meet and greet. They tried to say hello to as many people as they could as they were ushered through the hallways, but being the shy individual you are you hadn’t pushed through the crowd to get anywhere close. A glimpse of Louis’ beanie and a flash of Harry’s shoulder was about all you got, but you still thought it was cool that you got to perform on the same stage as them.

Your thoughts are interrupted when you hear the door open behind you. You turn to find a tall, curly-headed boybander bumble in.

“Oh hii.. sorry. I just forgot my jumper. Didn’t realize anyone would still be here.” he hums cheerily. You are stunned for a moment, shocked and bewildered, before you respond.

“Oh, that’s okay.. I’m just late getting my stuff so I can leave.” you reply politely, but a little awkwardly.

“Bethany, right?” he asks and pauses after he’s retrieved his jumper from the back of one of the chairs.

“Uh, yeah.” You reply and give a half smile.

“Harry.” he nods happily and extends his hand. You shake it.

“Nice to meet you.” You chuckle quietly at his charm.

“Nice to meet you too— you were really great tonight. Congratulations on getting through! Zayn, Louis, and I all voted for you. Louis was going crazy voting.. he thinks your the only one who even has any talent, much less deserves to win.” he compliments and laughs. “He also thinks you’re hilarious after watching the ‘Day in the Life of Bethany’ clip they showed. Really funny.” his eyes twinkle.

You laugh and nod knowingly. “Yeeah… they have a way of capturing me at my.. er.. best times. But yeah.. that’s really nice of you guys.” you smile, “But, there are some other really talented people though.. I guess we’ll see what happens.” you shrug politely and raise your bag to your shoulder.

“You leaving?” he asks and motions to the door.

“Yeah, yeah I am.” you nod and clutch the bag on your shoulder a little tighter before moving towards the door. He holds it open and follows you out into the hall.

“You want to come get some food with the boys and I?” he asks. Your cheeks feel hot and you forget how to breath for a second.

“Uh.. yeah, sure. I’d love to.” you smile, secretly in disbelief.

“Good.” he grins, and you know there’s more behind it than just an invite to hang out with the boys. He starts to drawl on about the show and asking you what it’s like this season and who’s your favorite judge and how long you’ve been singing as you make your way towards the exit, but the whole time you’re distracted with the fact that this is actually happening— all of it— from getting on the X Factor to living this dream life of rehearsals and live shows and crazy backstage fun to getting invited to dinner by a famous artist— and you just can’t believe it.

And if you had known in that moment how things would end up with Harry, you wouldn’t have believed that either.