You're Reading and He Falls Asleep

Harry emerges from the bathroom with a yawn and ruffles his hair as he moves towards the bed. You don’t notice his entrance at first, caught up in another world by the book you’re propped up reading. “Move over.” He playfully mutters and snuggles himself over to you. You mindlessly follow his command, barely recognizing his words amidst the excitement of your story. His head flops onto your pillow and he attempts to knock the book out of your hand as he slings his arm over your stomach.

“Harry!” you whine and snatch the book out of his grasp just in time. He playfully grins, his smile halfway obscured by the fluff of the pillow.

“What?” he mumbles, a sleepy silliness playing in his voice. You dismiss him with a cheeky glare and find your place to begin reading again.

“Let me at least finish this chapter. I’ll stop after that.” You promise and look down at him. “Yeah?” you ask for confirmation. He simply gives another cheesy grin into the pillow and you roll your eyes at his childish behavior before scootching down into his grasp. He tightens his grip around your waist and exhales slowly, eyes closed.

A few minutes later you’ve reached a good stopping point, and when you begin to close your book and set it aside, you notice Harry’s limp arm draped over you. You quickly reach to turn out the light and roll over so that you’re facing him.

“Are you asleep?” you ask with a little laugh.

“Mmm…” he moans in protest. You give a quiet giggle and reach up to kiss the bottom of his chin.

“Okay, well, sleep well.” You chuckle and he gives another wordless smile, eyes closed. You turn around again, snuggling yourself into him, and rest your head on his arm like a pillow since he’s commandeered yours. With his slow, steady breathing in your ear and at your back, you’re lulled off to sleep almost as quickly as he, your last thoughts floating between your book and your day and your Harry. And you realize just before you drift off to sleep that no matter how many books or stories you read, none will ever compare to the reality of your life because you’re you, and he’s him, and unlike those other stories it’s not make-believe. It’s real and true and as close to magical as this world gets— maybe even more than Disney World.