Chapter 10 ✓

~Hailey~

"I wish I told you before it all went down like this, that girl when we were kids," he started, emphasizing kids to tell me how stupid I was acting. "She's my cousin, this isn't Alabama where I would sleep with my relatives, got that? Plus, even if it were just hanging out, I can't do that anymore," his voice cracked, making me look at him only to see him in tears. I reached for his hands.

"I'm sorry, I don't know- I didn't know, I was a stupid jealous kid who brought childhood into adulthood with her," I sighed when I felt him squeeze my hand. 

"She had a heart disease and she died a year after the last time we all interacted," he said, reminiscing about the past. The blood rushed to my face, I wish the ground would swallow me whole, anything to get rid of the embarrassment I felt like now. 

"I'm so stupid," I blurt out, burying my face into a pillow, tho I prefer to be buried six feet deep right now. Kevin makes me look at him, tucking a stray hair behind my ear before leaning closer. As much as I want to, I couldn't just cheat like that. I turn away before our lips could touch. 

"I'm sorry," he says, pushing his hair back in frustration. At me? At himself?

"I have Ian and you have Debbie, this would be so wrong, we could just stay friends," I smile sadly. 

"I broke up with Debbie, both of us were aware that I was just using her as a rebound but she and I are staying friends and she's actually really nice," he tells me while he looks out the window, holding his cheek. "Got a damn slap for that but I deserve it," he laughs to himself. 

"Yeah, you-" I was cut off by a call, a very untimely one. Kevin took this as a chance to go back home, waving at me before he hopped out my window and into his room. So that's how he broke it.

"Hey," Ian's voice echoed into my head. 

"Hey," I sighed, falling back into my bed. 

"What's with the sad voice?" he asks.

"I don't have a sad voice-" I get cut off when I hear a girl's voice from his end of the call, it was a bit muffled but I understood a bit.

"Thanks for letting me use your shower, babe," Debbie's voice said in the background and I felt my heart beat faster. I didn't want to jump into conclusions. 

"Who was that?" I asked, nervously. 

"Debbie, she's my bestfriend and she came over, crying over Scotty boy," he says, mocking Kevin with the nickname I made for him. We had a long line of silence until he asks me a question. "Are you happy with me?"

"Yes, I am," I answered after a pause. 

"But you'd be happier with him," he continued for me. I found myself crying, he was right and I couldn't deny it. 

"I'm sorry, this doesn't feel right," I sobbed into the phone. 

"I'm fine with whatever makes you happier, even if it's not with me," he sighed but I could feel the smile in his voice. We talked a little more after that sudden break up, and we decided to stay friends. I had a few minutes in call with half-drunk Debbie but she called me an idiot for not just going for Kevin in the first place. It wasn't a wholesome call but it wasn't violent either, and with that, I decided to get some rest. 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I was locking up the house when a car honks behind me, with Kevin smiling in the driver's seat. I couldn't stop myself from smiling back as I hopped in the car. He reaches over to put my seat-belt on for me, then he looks at me and just stayed there. 

"So are you just going to-" my smart-ass remark was cut off when he kisses me deeply, pouring all our frustrating emotions into it. We were panting by the time we pulled away and drove off to school. 

Once we got there, Debbie and Ian were right outside campus eating breakfast in the hood of Ian's car. I got out of the car and casually walked up to them. Kevin followed after me but it was obvious that he and Debbie still has an uncomfy aura around them. 

"Debbie and I got too drunk last night," Ian whispers to me.

"You do you, buddy," I laughed, punching his arm playfully. The more I look at them together, the more it all pieces together. This fits, this looks better. They look good together. 

Kevin and I were about to walk away from a good conversation when one of Debbie's friends mumbled "slut" as we walked by. 

"What did you say about Hailey?" Kevin asks in a sharp tone.

"Are you going to defend your new bimbo?"

"Hailey is not bimbo-quality because she's girlfriend quality, unlike you who will stay a booty call for the whole football team," he pulls me away from the forming crowd and left her gaping there.

"So~ was she one of your booty calls?"

"Was," he paused, "until I found out I was probably exchanging diseases with the rest of the team." I burst out laughing as we made our way to the classroom. It was surprisingly quiet, I thought people would be whispering about us by now, but this is a good change. 

I was more bothered by the mischievous smirks on our friends' faces. What the hell are they up to now?