Chapter 22 ✓

~Kevin~

Hailey and I didn't go home after classes, not yet. I need more time with her. Even with hope that there's a chance they changed their mind, I wouldn't want to come home and hear that they still want to separate us.

She lays her head on my shoulder and sighs.

I wish we could stay here at the pier. Where we had our first date. She forgave me. She gave me another chance and I wouldn't wanna screw it up.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

She shoves Lace and glares at me.

"I don't wanna be your friend anymore!"

That broke my heart. I like her but she doesn't wanna be my friend.

I helped Lace up and she hugs me, clinging weakly.

"Is she okay? You should go talk to her." Lace whispers to my ear.

"I-I'll try..."

"You two are a great couple. You should really get her to calm down cause I wanna be able to be at your wedding when we're all old," Lace continued.

"L-Lace.." I scratched the back of my neck and blush.

"It's true!"

"Th-Thanks," I grinned like the child I am, easily pleased by these events.

~One year later~

I looked at Lace as she was laying on the hospital bed. I approach her and she smiles at me.

"Hey, Kevin..." she whispered, out of breath. I took her hand as tears formed and she continued to speak. "Make sure that wedding happens, ok?"

"It will, but I wish you were there too," I smiled sadly. 

"Tell her something for me?"

"What is it?"

Her thin hand pulled me closer to whisper closer. 

"Tell her to take care of herself and you too.."

~3 days later~

"Kevin? We have something to tell you. Lace is..." My mom starts, sitting me down.

"She's gone, son." Dad continues it for her.

I was in shock. I cried a little but then wiped it away. I went in my room and talked to Lace..or somewhat did.

"Hey Lace, please don't haunt me. I promise to introduce Hailey to you when I finally gain her trust and when she's my girlfriend. Thank you for being a sister to me, cousin." I wipe the tears the fall down as I spoke.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"Hailey, Lace told me to tell you something." 

"What is it?" she eyed me curiously. 

"She said to take care of yourself, of both of us."

"I already knew to do that but it's nice to know that she cared so much for me even if I didn't do any good to her," she sighed sadly before her phone rings and interrupts our little moment. 

"Let's go home! Our parents have good news!"

We ran to the car and drove home.

~End~