Misunderstood Proposal

"Cheater" M!Reader

I'll say this right now. This was the idea that got me to start this whole collection.

-----

Ruby stood outside, shock and hurt consuming her as she looked at you and Weiss inside the jewelry store.

She watched in horror as you held up a gold ring with a bright red gemstone up to Weiss, a smile growing on her face as she started to nod.

Tears flowed down Ruby's face as she couldn't believe was she was seeing. It clearly looked like you were cheating on her with Weiss. Her boyfriend and her partner, together behind her back.

Ruby had been dating you for years. The two of you were content and happy, as least that's what she thought. However, for the past few months you had been busier with work and missions. Ruby was sad as she wasn't able see you as much, but she never suspected anything bad.

Today was different. She knew in advance that you were free today but she was shocked and disappointed when you suddenly said that you had something else to do.

And even before leaving to see you, Weiss had lied to her about going to library to study for the day.

So instead, she walked around Vale, planning to get some cookies when she just so happened to see the two of you walk into a jewelry store together.

Unable to take the sight of you with Weiss, she turned and ran back to her dorm.

--

In team RWBY's dorm, Blake sat in her bed reading while Yang laying in hers watching videos on her scroll. They were both startled when the door slammed open and Ruby stepped in.

Yang quickly put her scroll away and hopped off the bed while Blake sat up, the two looking at their team leader.

"Ruby?" Yang questioned. As she approached, Ruby started to sob, immediately worrying the two girls.

"Ruby! What happened!?" Yang yelled as she and Blake went by Ruby's side.

She opened her mouth to speak, but her lips started to quiver and she began to cry once more.

"Ruby calm down. Tell us what happened." Blake tried to reassure her.

"I saw them! They were on a date together!"

"Wait. What?" Yang immediately questioned. Blake remained silent.

"(y/n)!...he's cheating on me with Weiss...." Ruby continued, tears now overflowing at your betrayal.

"WHAT!?" Yang screamed. Her eyes turned red and her hair glowed.

However, Blake took the calm approach and continued to probe for more details. "Ruby...what exactly were they doing?"

"He was picking out ring for Weiss! He's never given me anything like that!"

"I'M GOING TO MURDER HIM!!" She yelled but before she could leave, Blake grabbed her arm and forced her to look at her.

"Yang, he went to buy a ring with Weiss."

Yang glared at Blake for a moment as her words seeped in and realization struck her. And just as quickly as it came, her fire died out.

"Ooooh..."

The two girls looked over to their leader who was still on the floor, sobbing.

Yang took a knee down next to her sister and placed an arm around her.

"Ruby, listen. You should talk to him." She stated calmly.

Ruby shook her head. "B-But he doesn't love me anymore! He's been lying to my face!"

Blake leaned down as well.

"They might have a good reason-" She tried reasoning.

"NO! I trusted them! " Ruby yelled as she cut Blake off.

And just then, Weiss opened the door with you close behind. You immediately caught sight of Ruby on the ground in tears.

"Ruby? Are you alright?" You tried to approach but Ruby suddenly stood up.

"I hate you (y/n)! I never want to see you again!" She yelled before attempting to run past you.

"Wha-Ruby!" Before she could get far enough, you managed to grab her arm and keep her from running.

She struggled. "No! Let me go! I hate you."

"I won't until you tell me what's wrong!"

"(y/n)!" You turned, looking at Blake who had called your name.

"She thinks you're cheating on her with Weiss by buying her a ring."

"Ruby, listen." Your hand slipped into your pocket as you went down on one knee, taking out a black velvet box. You held it in-front of her, opening it to reveal its contents, a gold ring with a red rose-shaped gemstone.

She gasped as she looked at it then at you, meeting your eyes.

You took a deep breath as you confidently asked the next question that would change your life.

"The only girl I love is you. Ruby Rose, will you marry me?"

Ruby responded almost immediately.

"YES!!!" She exclaimed as she hugged you. You hugged her back and smiled in joy.

You could hear clapping from her team. Looking over, you could see their smiles.

"Good job bro." Yang commented.

You shrugged. "It's fine, saved me the trouble planning a proposal."

This piqued Ruby's curiosity. She pulled away but still kept her arms around you.

"Oh, what were you going to do?"

"Wouldn't you like to know~" You teased as you sealed a quick kiss with her.

At the pda, Yang rolled her eyes. "Alright love birds, get a room."

Ruby giggled but she realized something.

"Wait." She scanned her team. "You knew?"

"(y/n) went to me and Dad for our blessings." Yang stated proudly.

"And he needed my help to get the ring." Weiss added as she crossed her arms with a smug.

"And I was suppose to help him propose." Blake added last with a smile.

Ruby smiled as she realized how much effort you put into popping the question. She turned towards you as you held up the box. She took it, carefully putting the precious ring on her finger.

She looked at it and giggled, happy that she would become your wife.