First day sparks

My alarm clock on Monday was a rude awakening. The music blared as my bleary eyes adjusted to the lighting in the room. I quickly pressed snooze and proceeded to roll over, back into the warm comfort of my duvet.

Maybe 30 minutes later, I heard the calling out of bubba,

"Savannah, if you're not up by now you're gonna be late!"

I quickly shot up in bed, frantically searching in my bed for my phone. The time read 7:19. Apparently the portal left me jet lagged because now I barely had time to get dressed before having to leave in 10 minutes. I scrambled out of bed and quickly grabbed a red flannel, jeans, combat boots, and a white tee shirt.

Since I took a shower last night, I quickly brushed my hair and sprayed perfume. I grabbed my backpack and hustled down the hall and descended down the stairs in an unceremonious way. I grabbed an apple and made my way to the common room where bubba stood with dad on the balcony.

"Good morning," I greeted them while taking a bite of my apple.

"Mornin' sunshine," bubba greeted me with a kiss on the forehead.

"You gotta get going if you wanna make it on time. Remember to watch your surroundings, there are bad downworlders here too. Not all are like Luke and Simon," Dad said while looking down to the street below.

"Ok, I got it. See you guys later. Love you!" I yelled running out of the common room, down 5 flights of stairs and out the front door.

I made my way down the street and put the address of the school into maps. I followed the directions until I could see the building up ahead. I pocketed my phone and made my way into the parking lot of the high school. As I made my way into the parking lot, I was nearly run over by a run down blue jeep. The driver paid me no mind while the girl in the passenger seat gave me a look of apology. I only got a glimpse at the girl, but all I saw was strawberry blonde hair.

I shook out my hands and felt the normal tingle that comes with my nearing 18th birthday. I've mentioned my 18th birthday twice now, I should give some specifics. On my 18th birthday, I will gain my powers. According to dad, my powers will mostly be a mix of shadowhunter and warlock. This means that I will be able to wear runes, have a stele, and yet also be able to bear magic. This day will come and I will need to be ready.

I walked through the doors of the school and the throng of people pushed back and forth, so I just made my way through the best I could. When I finally made my way to the front office, I gave them my transfer papers and in turn I received my schedule.

I thanked the receptionist and went to find my locker. Its number was 364. Once I found it, I used the combination and of course I couldn't unlock the lock.  I tried two more times before I grabbed the lock and just yanked it. The lock, of course, didn't budge. I huffed out a sigh before heading to class, with all of my books.

I made my way into the calculus class and felt the eyes of 20 students staring at the new girl. I gave the teacher my slip and she announced my name to the class as I made my way to an empty seat.

As I took my seat, two boys sat behind me, I turned my head slightly to see who they were; dad said to stay alert. One of them was tall, pale and skinny. He had a collection of moles spread across his face. He was rambling a mile a minute, while whispering, so his words were reduced to a jumble of sounds.

The other boy had tan skin, his hair was dark and his jawline seemed to be uneven. He was attractive, but not my cup of tea.

Before the teacher even began writing on the board, a girl sat at the desk next to mine. I looked over to see that it was the strawberry blond girl from the blue jeep earlier. She looked over at me and gave me a smile as she pulled out her pencils and notebooks. I was so caught up in her beauty it didn't register to me that I was staring.

I blinked a couple of times before pulling out my supplies and began to take the notes that the teacher had started writing. I wrote the notes but the entire time I kept sneaking glances at the girl to my right.

~~~

"How was your day hun?" Dad asked me as he lounged on the couch in the common room. He held a glass of wine as bubba poured himself a glass of whiskey behind the couch at the bar.

"It was fine. Classes, notes, people, same as New York." I said sitting and curling into the blanket that had been draped over dad's legs. I laid my head on his lap and he proceed to run his hand through my hair.

"What's up kiddo?" Bubba asked me as he watched my intense look as I stared across the room.

"Nothing, just tired." I said feeling the soothing feeling of dad's fingers in my hair. Soon I was sleep without any thought of doing my homework.

"Well once you do your homework, then you can sleep." Bubba said shaking my shoulder.

I nodded as I sat up. I stretched feeling the satisfying pop of the joints in my shoulders. As I felt the joints pop, the blue sparks jumped between the spaces of my fingers.

"Well that is getting stronger," Dad said watching as the sparks died down. 

I looked at my hands and turned them over, trying to catch a glance at the sparks that had faded away.

"Yeah, it's been happening more often since my birthday is getting closer." I said as I stood from the couch.

We all headed to the dining room and began to prepare our dinner. Our casual banter filled the room and every so often, the blue sparks would come and go. 

My new normal.