Alone

"Hi, sorry I can't come to the phone right now but leave a message and I'll get back to you!"

Beep.

"Savannah, love. It's dad. We need you back at the institute as soon as you get this message. Something's come up and Alec and I need to head to Idris. Don't panic, just call us as soon as you can. Love you bug."

~~

The soft early morning rays streamed through the curtains hanging in the guest room of Scott's house. I moved to stretch my stiff joints from the hard sleep but found that I was stuck in my place. I looked to see that Lydia had curled around me and was holding me in place. I smiled as I slowly sank back into the bed. I figured a few more minutes wouldn't hurt.

As I was about to sink back into my slumber, my phone lit up. I had silenced it for the night and put it on do not disturb. I picked up the phone and my eyes were assaulted by the sudden change in brightness. I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the screen. 1 missed call from Bubba, 1 missed call from dad, 1 voicemail from dad, 2 messages from Aunt Izzy.

Something's wrong.

I unlocked my phone and listened to the voicemail. I tried to keep calm as I heard what dad was saying.

Idris.

He says there's no reason to panic, but if they have to go to Idris, that's a big reason to panic. I moved from Lydia's grasp, hearing her whine in protest and roll over. I quickly changed clothes into some jeans and a gray t-shirt with a flannel. I threw all my stuff into my bag. My head was throbbing, but I quickly activated the Iratze rune and the pain dulled and soon became nothing but a memory. I grabbed my bag and checked to make sure I had my spell book and stele.

I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me. I walked down the hall and down the stairs. Stiles and Scott were still passed out so I just quietly creeped out of the house and once I was on the sidewalk, I portalled home to the institute.

When I landed inside the institute, the common room was empty and the demon sensors were calm. Walking to our wing, everything seemed calm. I opened the door and that's where everything changed.

There were books scattered across the floor, papers littered the coffee table, Dad and Bubba's wedding pictures were shattered on the floor. Someone or something had come tearing through here.

"Bubba! Dad!" I yelled checking in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. They weren't there. Come to think of it, nobody had been in the command rooms either. It was like the entire institute was abandoned.

I ran my trembling hands through my hair, willing myself not to cry. They always have a plan. Nothing could go wrong.

I took a deep breath as I picked up Dad's hairbrush and Bubba's favorite black sweater. I drew a tracking rune and amplified it with a tracking spell. I closed my eyes and let the magic work. It showed bits and pieces of an unknown place, everything was blurry and strange. I had almost given up until I saw a flash of ruby colored nails. I willed my mind to stop reeling and focus.

I saw Dad and Bubba along with other shadowhunters being held in what seemed to be a large cage. The bars were warded to ensure no stele, seraph blade, or magic could penetrate through. It must be amateur warding seeing as they didn't think to ward against tracking spells and runes. I focused in to see if I could hear.

"Magnus, what about Savannah?" I heard Bubba ask as he moved his head to dad's shoulder.

"I called her moments before the attack. She's a smart girl, she'll know what to do." He said, his voice lacking it's usual flare. His eyes were dull, no glee hidden behind them.

"What about Izzy? Did she get through to her?" Bubba began to panic, his disheveled hair became even more haphazard as he ran his hands through it.

"My love, please calm down. I'm sure Izzy and the others are doing all they can. We mustn't worry too much." Dad said with a calm voice, pulling Bubba into him and smoothing his hair down. The other shadowhunters trapped with them seemed out of it and weren't as awake as Bubba and Dad.

My view of them became blurry as the spell wore off. I was so focused on what they were saying, I hadn't taken in what the surrounding looked like.

"Daddy! Bubba!" I screamed out in frustration as the picture dissolved and my knees buckled under me. I was alone, for the first time in my life that I can remember. I called Aunt Izzy, it went to her voicemail.

"Auntie, I-I need you and Uncle Simon to get Aunt Clary and Uncle Jace and find a way to California. It's really important." My voice quivered as tears ran down my face. I ended the call and slid down the wall I had been leaning against. I curled in on myself and began to sob.

~~

I had no idea how long I had been on the floor, but my phone began buzzing incessantly. I picked up the phone to see Lydia's face and name on the screen.

"Hello," I answered, wiping my face with my hand.

"H-Hey, you were gone when we all woke up," she seemed to take a pause as if she could hear that something was wrong.

"Are you ok?"

Hearing the sensitivity in her voice seemed to reopen the floodgates as the tears came back.

"N-No. Something happened and I don't know what to do." I sobbed out.

"Ok, I'm on my way with Scott, Stiles, Liam, and Ryder. Are you home?"

"Yeah."

I heard the rustling of getting jackets and the jingling of keys.

"We're on our way."

~~

By the time they arrived at the institute and made their way to our wing, I hadn't moved from the floor. My eyes were red from crying, my head was throbbing, and I was still alone. Aunt Izzy had called me back assuring me that she was rounding up the family and they were going to get Catarina to portal them to Beacon Hills.

Scott pushed the door open, seeing as I hadn't moved from my spot. Lydia was right behind him and they all took in the sight of my messy home, torn to pieces. When they saw me huddled against the wall, Lydia rushed over ahead of the others.

She cradled my head in her hands as she looked me over.

"What happened Savannah?" She asked, her eyes looking panicked.

"Someone or something. T-They took Bubba and Dad."

The tears had stopped but the ache in my chest was still present.

"We'll help you find them," Scott said as he looked at the damage of my apartment.

I nodded as Lydia pulled me closer to her and I wrapped my arms around her. Nobody mentioned the sleepover, Lydia made no attempt to explain her motives behind last night. Everything just seemed to be at a standstill.

"I don't want to stay here." I mumbled.

"Of course, we were all just gonna hang out at my house again." Scott said.

"You can come stay at my house tonight," Lydia offered.

I nodded as I unwrapped myself from her. Liam and Ryder were still looking around when I heard the crunch of glass. I looked over to see that Ryder had stepped on the glass that had shattered from the pictures.

She picked up the frame and brought it over to me. A smiling family picture from New York on my first day of middle school looked up at me. Dad and Bubba had insisted we take the picture. I gave a small smile as I felt the ache in my heart increase.

"Let's get you some clothes and head to my house." Lydia said helping me off the floor.

I nodded and went to pack up some clothes and my toiletries. Once I had my bag, we all headed out the door and I grabbed one of Bubba's big sweaters from the coat hook to take with me.

I looked back at the torn apartment and walked with my friends out of the institute. I knew that they would help me, I just want my dads back.