Something There

After that night, everything was out in the open. My shoulders felt light and I could share this part of me with my friends. Lydia began to come over more often and we asked each other about our supernatural experiences. She practically moved into my house, nobody was complaining. Dad, Bubba, and I enjoyed having her around and she had a section of clothed in my closet. 

Albeit, I want more from our relationship than this, but everything has to start from somewhere. She helped me study my spell book and the gray book. I slowly began to recognize more and more runes.

"So, what does the stele feel like on your skin?" She asked me as she looked at the angelic rune on my chest. I was wearing a low cut tank top with running shorts while Lydia wore yoga pants with an oversized t-shirt.

"It feels like a slow burn, like a small fire is being dragged across my skin. It's not unbearable, just enough pain to remember that I'm not only supernatural but human." I explained.

She stood from where she sat on my bed and made her way to me. She traced her left hand across the rune on my chest. Her cold fingertips trailed over my collar bone and towards the newly etched sight rune on my shoulder. She looked at me and in her eyes I saw curiosity and awe.

I blinked and cleared my throat, turning away from her walking towards my dresser. I began to pull my hair into a ponytail.

"I think we should go see what's in the fridge for dinner, or do you have to go home?" I asked her, turning towards where she was standing.

The late afternoon sunlight came through my blinds and caught wisps of her hair. When the light hit those few stray pieces of hair that fell in her face, they seemed to catch fire. My breath caught in my throat and I seemed to be stuck in this moment. I blinked and shook my head slightly to make it seem like I was just deep in thought.

"My mom is out of town for the night, so I'll just stay here." She said moving towards the door.

We headed to the kitchen to search the fridge. Dad and Bubba were out on their weekly date night, so I didn't expect them home any time soon.

"Ok, so we have the chicken stir fry from last night, there is some microwavable tv dinners, or we can just order in Thai." I gave her some options.

"I think we should just finish of the stir fry."

We heated the food up and grabbed some extra chopsticks and moved into the living room. While we ate, we talked and gossiped. We laughed as we cleaned up the remnants of our food and soon we started homework but then more interesting topics came up and the productiveness ended.

"So, do you like anyone at school?" Lydia asked.

"You know all the girls at our school is straight." I said.

"Well you never know, there may be someone out there for you."

I looked over at her and my heart fluttered and I knew she would never go for me. I hoped and dreamed that something would eventually happen, but hope breeds eternal misery.

Lydia looked at Savannah and felt the same flutter, but she couldn't place why it was there. She had never looked at a girl like that, but feelings change.

People change.