What Comes Next

"Mr. Bane, our tactical team picked up on a unique heat signature. It's coming from the southern portion of California, but it matches that of a warlock. The said warlock hasn't documented their reason for being in the state, nor have they contacted us of their being here in the first place. We think they must be the one responsible for the attack on the institute. If you could report to the battle room as soon as you get this message, that would be greatly appreciated."

The voicemail ended with a click. My dads sat next to me both looking to me with expectant gazes.

"Do you think the pack is ready to take on this mission." Bubba asked standing up from his seat.

"Yeah, they've faced other things that make this seem minor. I think they will be fine." I believed the words I was saying, but my heart was still racing. I thought about the fact that I was sending my best friends into battle and not only that but my girlfriend too. 

I also thought about the fact that my parents had wiped my memory who knows how long ago. That was weighing pretty hard on my heart, but I wasn't going to drop that on them now.

"Do you want to come to the briefing? It will probably take around a couple hours to debrief, devise a plan, and then pull the teams together." Dad asked, taking my hands into his own.

I looked at our hands and shook my head. 

"I think I'm gonna go over and talk to Lydia. I may stay over, so don't wait up." I said squeezing Dad's hands and giving Bubba a hug.

"We will fill you in tomorrow so you can talk to the pack about the plan. Love you." Dad said as I made my way to my room.

I gave them a wave in response and closed the door to my room, pressing my back to the wood. I hated acting like everything was alright when in my mind everything was imploding. I quickly put some clothes in a bag and opted to walk to Lydia's house.

~~~

By the time I made it Lydia's house, the night had begun to cool off and the California heat was bearable. The sun was still setting and seemed to set the landscape on fire.

I knocked on her front door and waited for her answer. Instead of Lydia, Mrs. Martin answered.

"Oh, hello Savannah." She said, not looking too pleased to see me.

"Hi, Mrs. Martin." I said glancing over her shoulder when I saw a glimpse of strawberry blond hair.

"I'm just here to hang out with Lyds." I said with a small smile. The look she was giving me made me feel small.

"I'm sorry, but I can't allow that." She said, crossing her arms over her chest. I was taken back by the hostility I was feeling.

I saw Lydia over her shoulder, her eyes looked puffy and red. She looked worse for wear.

"May I ask why?"

"Well, I know about your relationship with my daughter." She said squinting at me, almost as is I was a sample in a lab being inspected.

"She's my friend, so I'm not understanding what you mean." I said, desperate to sound calm and collected.

"Well, that may be how you play it off, but I don't think so. You see, she left her phone unlocked and your messages were open. Now, I'm not usually one to pry, but I felt inclined to do so. The messages sent between you two can't be described as platonic. I will not allow that kind of behavior in my home and I believe that it all stems from you." She said, seeming to not feel any emotions about what she was saying.

I heard sniffles from behind her and I could see Lydia looking at me over her mom's shoulder.

"Mrs. Martin, I'm not sure what you think you saw, but I can assure you that my relationship with Lydia is purely platonic." I said with a smile. 

My mind was racing, my heart was aching, and I felt like any moment the world was going to open up and swallow me whole.

"Well no matter the case, you are no longer allowed in my house. You are no longer allowed near Lydia and if I find that you still find a way to speak to her, I will take legal action." Mrs. Martin finished and I could hear the quite sobs coming from inside.

"Mrs. Martin, if we could just sit down, talk, and be rational about this-" I started to say, but my voice cracked. My emotions were coming through. I was trying to put up a strong front, but my façade was wavering.

"Savannah, I think it would be best if you just went home." Mrs. Martin began to close the door and as the door shut in my face and I heard her shoes shuffle away from the door. I stood there in shock when I heard a thump from the other side of the door.

Sorrowful wails filled my ears.

"I-I'm sorry. Why! Why!" Lydia wailed. Hearing the pain and anguish in her voice struck a chord in me. I could feel the electricity coursing through my veins more prominently now. I took a deep breath and tried to steady myself.

I fell to my knees in front of the door, Lydia was still wailing inside the house. I pulled my stele out and drew a visibility rune on the door. The wood paneling began to fade away, and then I could see Lydia. Her once vibrant green eyes were shrouded by the puffiness and redness of her eyes from crying.

"Lyds," I whispered.

Her head whipped towards the sound of my voice. She looked up the stairs, where her mother presumably escaped to after causing this ordeal, and slowly crawled over to the door.

"I had to see you one last time." I said looking at her, studying every detail of her face.

"Why do you sound like you may never see me again?" She asked, her voice raspy from her crying.

"I was coming to ask that you not come on the mission. The task team says they'll be ready by tomorrow night. I'll inform the rest of the pack, but I don't want to see you get hurt." I said looking at her through the door. 

She shook her head, "I want to do this with you. I want to be there."

"Your mom hates me as it is, I can't let you get hurt." I said, placing my hand on the door. Though the door was transparent, the physical barrier was still there. She looked at my palm and placed hers on mine from the other side of the door.

"I want you to know that meeting you and having you in my life has been so good to me. You have been so good for me, and for that I am so grateful." I said, tears starting to make tracks down my face.

"Savannah, please," Lydia began to sniffle as more tears slid down her cheeks.

"I love you Lydia Martin, and that I why I have to do this." I looked her in her eyes as I began to stand from the porch.

"Sav, I love you too. Please don't leave me." She began to cry as I walked off of her porch and back towards the institute.

Two places. Two places where I once felt safe, now only connected with heartache.

I could hear her sobs as I exited her yard and it's a sound that will forever hurt me, but I had to go.

I didn't tell her where the pack was meeting for the mission. I want to protect her. I need to protect her.

This is all out of love.