Pain

"Alright Miss Martin. You are all cleared to go home. Remember, no heavy lifting for a few days, changing the dressing on your stitches, and stay hydrated." The doctor signed the release form and passed it to Lydia's mom while Lydia picked up her belongings.

"Hey, no lifting," I said taking the bag from her.

"I can carry a bag," she said stretching to try to take the bag back. In the process of making the sudden movement, she winced.

"Well according to your stitches, you can't." I said in a matter-of-fact tone. I walked with her out the door and we were headed down the hallway toward the exit when Bubba sent me a text.

Hey honey. Magnus and I are headed to a meeting and won't be home until later tonight. Feel free to stay with Lydia tonight. We send our love xoxo.

Leave it to Bubba to end a text with hugs and kisses.

"Hey Lydia, would you mind me staying at your place tonight? Dad and Bubba have a meeting." I asked catching up to her at the sliding doors.

"Sure, my mom has to go help Sheriff Stilinkski with some paperwork. I'll need some help getting around when she leaves." She said as she walked over to her car where her mom was waiting with the door open.

"See you in like 10 minutes, I gotta go home and grab some stuff." I called out waving as I made my way down the sidewalk. Once I was down the sidewalk and out of the eyesight of mundanes, I chanted a spell to open a portal and soon landed out side of the institute.

I went inside and grabbed a duffel and quickly threw some clothes into the bag. In the process, I grabbed my stele and spellbook. Things hadn't felt right since the demon attacked Lydia. Of course, I was scared that it was going to happen again but I didn't quite know what to do.

Since Lydia is mostly human, I couldn't put a protection rune on her. That was something that made me uneasy. If a rune is placed on a human, they become a zombie-like being called a forsaken; it's worse than death. So runes were out of the question. I began to think about whether or not I should ward her house, that was something I would have to talk to her about.

After my bag was packed, I headed out of the institute and ran into a solid body.

"Ah, I'm sorry. Are you alright?" I looked up to see a shadowhunter standing over me. He had short cropped brown hair that accented his hazel eyes. He had a large deflect rune on his neck.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I'm just really clumsy." I said straightening my clothes and looking him in the face.

"I'm new to the institute. I just got transferred from the Washington headquarters. The name's Dylan Thomas." He said offering his hand for a handshake.

"I'm Savannah Lightwood-Bane, nice to meet you." I said shaking his hand.

"Ah, so the infamous daughter of the high warlock and head of the institute." He said with a smile.

I smiled in return, "It was nice meeting you, but I actually have to get going." I said as I made my way around him.

"Oh yeah, sure. See ya around." I heard him say as I headed down the sidewalk.

~~~

Lydia was siting in front of her powder vanity when I knocked on her door. She had pulled up her shirt to look at the bandage on her side.

"What are you doing there?" I asked making my way through the door.

"This is gonna leave a scar," she said tilting her head in the mirror, her hands tracing over the stitches. She began to replace the old gauze with the new one.

"It's ok, I told you that scars make you stronger." I said sitting on her bed.

She was tilting her head from side to side. Her hair moved with each tilt and she just watched as her hair moved in the mirror, her eyes looked like she was in a daze.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked her, watching the way her hair swayed with each movement.

"I want to do something different," she said, not taking her eyes off of the mirror.

"Like what?" 

"Like, cut my hair." She said, turning to me.

"Why? What spurred that spontaneous idea?" I asked, looking at her.

"I've been thinking about it for a while," she began while looking down at her hands, "I think that I have some internalized homophobia towards myself. I just want to show myself that my hair doesn't define me."

"Wow, I think that's really amazing." I said, the awe in my voice very evident.

"Do you think I'm crazy?"

"No, I just think that this could be good for you. It could be another form of healing. Until they find who hurt you, this could be a big confidence boost."

"Great," Lydia nodded.

She gave me a bright smile and I couldn't help but smile back. I liked the idea of having Lydia be happy. She made all the pain go away.