Sparks fly

Disclaimer: In this chapter, some homophophic statements are made by a character. These are not my personal views of the LGTBQ+ community (which I am part of). I apologize if these statements upset or offend anyone.

~

Mornings were the worst in the Lightwood-Bane household. My dad and I were nighthawks while, surprisingly, Bubba was an early bird. Though Saturdays were a break from the world of school, dad still had his clients and Bubba was always on the lookout for demon attacks in the area. I'm still not sure why we were needed here in California so urgently, nothing remotely demonic was really happening. Dad was happy to be spending more time with Bubba and I just tried to avoid all of the random moments of PDA.

"Oh come on, all I wanted was a glass of water." I groaned with a laugh walking into the kitchenette in our "suite" in the institute. 

Dad was perched on the kitchen counter and Bubba was nestled between his legs. Bubba had his head in the crook of dad's neck and dad had his legs draped around Bubba's waist. Bubba's dark black hair was tousled  and I didn't want to know what had happened prior to my entering.

"All we wanted was a moment alone," Dad said with a glint in his cat eyes. He always wore his warlock mark freely around the house; no glamour needed. Bubba and I loved the feline feature that only we got to see.

"Well, I'll just get my water and leave you two be." I stated walking to the refrigerator with my glass in hand. I pressed the glass the the water spout and waited for the glass to fill up. Once the glass was full I made my way out of the kitchen.

"Ok, well I'll be in my room." I waved over my shoulder. In the process of wiggling my fingers, blue sparks shot out and struck the air above dad and Bubba's heads. The yelped in surprise and Bubba instinctively protected Dad's head.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry!" I cried out as the smoke cleared the air.

"It's fine sweetie, this will happen as it gets closer to the coming of your birthday. Just try to contain it." Dad said smoothing down his hair as if I hadn't almost fried his to a crisp.

"Okay," I said sheepishly as I continued out of the kitchen. The last thing I saw before the door closed was Dad pulling Bubba closer by his belt loops.

~~~~

"So how was your weekend?" Lydia asked me at my locker Monday morning.

I glanced to my left at the Strawberry blond and noticed how the morning light literally made her glow.

"It was fine, I just hung out with my dads. They had some 'quality time' and I just helped run some errands. What about you?"

As she was about to answer, Scott and Stiles ran up to her and were breathing rapidly.

"What's up with you guys?" I asked eying the two boys.

"Field. Liam. Ball. Brett. Bad." Stiles huffed out, as if I knew what the hell he meant. Who the hell was Brett?

I looked to Lydia for some insight but she just widened her eyes and took off with the two boys towards the lacrosse fields, leaving me in the dust. I just rolled my eyes and walked in the direction of my next class. I know that if something really important, they would have asked me to come.

I watched as the three of them rushed down the hallway towards the fields and began my walk to my study hall. As I walked down the hallway, whispers filled my ears. Girls and guys alike whispered and stared as I passed. It just so happened that I passed Ryder, Liam's girlfriend. I pulled her aside.

"Why are people staring a me?"

"Well, you are the new girl. You're openly gay. People have figured out that you like Lydia. Well everyone but Lydia, Scott, and Stiles. Plus, you have two dads." She explained in a low voice.

I looked at her with wide eyes. I thought I was being discreet with my glances, apparently I wasn't.

I simply nodded and returned to walking down the corridor. A blond and her group of friends eyed me before the blonde yelled, 

"Where are you going, Dyke?" her friends snickered and I stopped dead in my tracks.

I hated the word- it was demeaning and rude. I turned to face the group of girls.

"What was that?" I said back, just as loud. By now the entire hallway was tuned into the drama starting in front of them.

"You heard me, dyke. What are you gonna do, go tell your dads?"

I was fine with taking this abuse, but I don't like when people bash my family.

"What about my dads?" I asked her inching my way closer to her.

"I just think it's bad for a girl to be raised by two men in the same house. I think it imprints something disgusting and inhuman." She said crossing her arms over her chest and lifting her head higher in the air. 

At this point I glanced around the hallway, the students were gathering and staring. It was silent as everyone waited with anxious breaths- would I punch the girl? Would the climax end with me leaving? My anger was rising and I could feel the electricity racing towards the surface of my skin, my fingertips felt alive as the magical sparks ran through my veins- the hum was enticing.

I glanced to see that Lydia, Stiles, Scott, and now Liam were all standing amongst the crowd. Lydias eyes seemed to plead with me not to start a fight. The girl in front of me, who is so irrelevant she doesn't even need a name, saw my gaze staying on Lydia and made a final jab.

"Oh, are you looking to your little girl toy for help?"

I glared at her and I let out a scream, a God awful scream, and I ran at her. The teens in the hall stared wide eyed as the new girl, the new gay girl, ran at the other girl. In the process the sparks were set free and the hall was filled with blue electricity. The girl in front of me screamed and attempted to run but I caught her wrists and the sparks moved up her arms.

She shook as the shockwaves racked through her body. The students that had gathered began to scream and scatter- but not my 4 friends. They all stood there in shock as I let go of the defenseless mundane and let her fall to the ground. I still have a week to go until my powers come in fully.

The girl laid on the floor in a slump. Her body twitched as the sparks began to leave her body. I took deep breaths and realized- I just showed a school of mundanes my magic. Tears began to form in my eyes as I looked up to face my friends. Liam rushed to the girl and took her to the nurse. Scott and Stiles stared at me in shock. Lydia looked conflicted- awe and pain etched in her features. I backed away as I saw them start towards me. I turned and ran down the hall at full speed, bursting through the front doors, stumbling down the stairs, and running home to the institute. School be damned, I ran like a bat out of hell. 

Dad and Bubba were gonna be pissed.