Growing Pains

As I made my way up the steps to Scott's front door, it swung open to reveal Stiles in the process of walking out the door.

"Hey Stiles, what's up?" I asked trying to keep the boy from plowing over me.

"Nothing, headed to the station to take my dad dinner," He said gesturing to the bag of Chinese takeout food in his hand.

I merely stepped out of his way and waved him off so he could go supply his father with food. I watched as he pulled out of the driveway and his jeep made its way down the street. When I turned around, Lydia was standing in the doorframe, but she looked a little different than usual. Her usual preppy, stylish look was replaced with baggy sweatpants and an oversized tee shirt with her hair piled on top of her head in a bun. Some strands of her hair had fallen out and were framing her face.

I was stuck at the threshold taking in her disheveled look; she was stunning. I took a deep breath and smiled at her.

"Hey Lyds, what's up?" I asked, acting as if she didn't make my palms go clammy and send butterflies flying in my stomach.

"Scott and Stiles wanted to have a study session so I came over. Liam and Ryder were supposed to come, but they just called and canceled. I was too lazy to bother with a socially acceptable look." She explained opening the door wider, silently inviting me to come into the house. I smiled and nodded as I stepped past her into the house.

Scott was sitting at the kitchen table with books and binders spread around him. He was wearing a simple gray tee shirt and was also sporting sweatpants. 

"Hey Savannah. I didn't know you were coming over tonight." He said getting up to greet me with a small hug. When we disconnected from the hug he gave a large yawn and stretch.

"My dads had a long day and were sleep and I got bored so I decided to walk over here to see what was up." I said beginning to think of ways to bring up that I had a gap in my memory.

"We were just revising for the AP Biology test we have next week." Scott explained as he and Lydia began to pack up the books.

"Oh no, I don't want to interrupt. I can just see you guys tomorrow." I said, trying to keep them from stopping because of me.

"It's no problem. We were practically done anyways." Lydia said.

I nodded and sat down while they packed up their bags. I had only ever been to Scott's house once and it was during the day with everyone here. Looking around I can see all of the little nooks that make it a childhood home. I saw that the fridge was covered in homemade magnets and school pictures of Scott and Stiles.

Lydia and Scott were talking between themselves in low voices when I felt it. 

Shit.

I felt the surge of magic building. My birthday was days away and I wasn't ready for the powers to come in fully. I took deep breaths as I tried to suppress the power building. It was painful to keep it all in with no release and I flinched with every growing surge.

I stood up abruptly, gaining Lydia's attention. Scott was gone, I hadn't noticed him leave the room.

"Are you ok?" Lydia asked reaching out to touch me.

"No! I mean I'm f-fine. My dads texted me, I need to get home." I said flinching away from her and bumping into the chair behind me.

Lydia watched me as I stumbled towards the door and paused. I stared at the doorknob, metal. If I touched it, I could transfer the magic and release the pressure, but my secret would be out.

"Lydia could you come open the door for me?" I asked with pleading eyes .

She nodded and opened the door. I thanked her quickly before running out into the front yard and heading down the street. Once I had made it down 3 blocks, I was in front of the institute.

I ran upstairs, the energy was close to releasing itself, whether I wanted to or not.

I burst into our common room to see dad and Bubba sitting on the couch talking.

"Hey buttercup what's up." Bubba asked.

My response was a yell. A yell full of agony and pain. The magic pushed its way through my body and the room was filled with blue sparks.

Dad ran to my side and tried to take some of the energy but it just surged through him and back into me with gained energy from him.

"Dad! Bubba!" I screamed out as the pain intensified. They looked on with pained expressions, knowing they couldn't do anything.

As the magic died down, I felt empty and hollow. My legs gave out as tears ran down my cheeks. The magic had left me weak and void. The few sparks that were left jumped between my fingers but eventually died away.

As I fell to the floor I heard dad and bubba call out to me and then to a medic. Bubba drew an iratze healing rune on my forearm as dad cradled my head in his lap. Before I fell into the void of my empty mind, I heard him chanting an incantation and at the end he added,

"Help my baby girl."

The void then consumed me.

Sorry it's been a while since the last update. I tried to make up for it with a longer chapter. If you don't know, runes are magical tattoos used by shadowhunters and the iratze looks like the picture in the header at the top of the chapter.

Also I'm not sure when I said Savannah's birthday is but it will be taking place in the next chapter. The Lydia x Savannah relationship will be escalating slowly to avoid any clichés. Happy Reading!