Mission Status: Go

I strapped my stele to my belt, the angelic power slowly pulsating through its handle. I shook out my hands , small blue sparks flew off my fingertips. The task team was gearing up as well, seraph blades glinted under the fluorescent lights. Scott, Stiles, Malia, Ryder and Liam all stood around waiting for orders. Bubba was speaking to the tactical leader while Dad stood at his side.

"Where's Lydia?" Scott whispered in my ear.

"She's not coming." I said, facing forward.

"Why not? You were adamant on her training." Malia asked.

"She got cold feet. I wasn't going to force her to do this." I said, keeping my voice level. I know that the pack could hear my heartbeat- I was lying through my teeth. I could keep my voice even and steady, but my body always betrays me.

I could still hear her cries and wails in my ears. I took in a deep breath and shook out my hands, the characteristic blue sparks flying off of my fingertips.

"Okay everyone, everything has been set up. Savannah will lead her team in first, the rest of us will be there for counter surveillance. Anything moves, you react." The task team leader instructed.

The pack looked odd in our group, all of the shadowhunters held seraph blades and witchlights. Additionally, some had thigh holsters with knives- like Bubba  

I know that Liam, Scott, and Malia had their claws and fangs. Stiles was armed with a metal baseball bat and Ryder had the fire running in her veins, but they all still felt so vulnerable to me.

My stele was stashed in my waistband and I had a seraph blade strapped to my thigh. I didn't have to worry about hair in my face, which is something most of the women in the room couldn't say. Lydia wouldn't have had that problem.

I shook my head, I can't go on this mission with her in my head.

"Wait, I'd like to join!" I turned to see the newest addition to the Institute, Dylan, running our way. I nodded as a greeting and soon the team was dispersed and the mission had begun.

"So, you decided just now to go on this mission?" I asked Dylan, walking down the sidewalk beside him.

"This warlock hurt the heads of the institute, I have to do my part." He replied, I noticed that he said warlock with a sneer.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I don't know what you mean." He responded.

"You said warlock like it was something disgusting." I said looking at him, which was hard seeing as he was a few heads taller than me.

"It's just, as Nephilim, we are superior. We have angel blood running in our veins. They, they are disgusting demon blooded creatures." He said, glancing back to the pack.

I took a step back and just looked at him.

"Are you serious? Is this just some sort of genocide mission for you?" I looked at him, fear creeping into my mind.

"Well, this is a Clave sponsored mission. It just so happens that I may get to kill the dirty warlock." He said, almost sneering.

"Okay, I've heard enough. You can't come on this mission. I won't feed your desire to kill just to kill." I said placing my hand on his chest and giving him a firm push back.

"You're kidding right?" Dylan said.

"I'm not, so you should go back to the institute. You're off this mission." I said looking him in the eyes.

We stared each other down, the other Nephilim walked ahead of us. The pack stopped walking a few steps behind Dylan and I. They watched as I stared down Dylan.

"Fine. I'll go, good luck on the mission." Dylan said. There was no sincerity in his voice. He backed up from me and shouldered his way through the pack.

"What's that guy's problem?" Malia asked walking up with the rest of the pack.

"He's just one of the few Nephilim that have an agenda for a downworlder genocide." I said, taking in a deep breath and pulling my shoulders back.

They all just gave small nods and then we continued to make our way down the sidewalk.

~~

The building was abandoned and the task team was spread around the perimeter of the building. It was an abandoned hotel and it looked like the place was in shambles.

"Okay.  Savannah's team will enter in the front entrance, Magnus will take the side entrance, and I will take the back entrance." I could hear Bubba's voice in my ear piece.

I nodded to the pack and then drew an unlocking rune on the door. The door swung open and we crept inside. I held up my witchlight stone and the space ahead of us was lit up in the angelic light. The pack walked tight behind me and we all watched out for anything that could come our way.

"Savannah to task team, so far everything is clear. The next team should be able to come through," I spoke into the microphone strapped to my earpiece.

I heard Bubba and Dad confirm and move forward.

"We have reason to believe that there are multiple warlocks in the building. We are reading multiple heat signatures." I heard the task team member in my ear.

As he finished I heard the sound of combat beginning and then the yells of the nephilim as they began to fight.

"Savannah, keep your team out of the fight and go find the warlock!" I heard Bubba in my ear.

"Copy." I said and relayed the message to the team.

"Do we know what this warlock looks like?" Scott whispered to me.

"No, but we know he would send others before he gets his hands dirty." I said as we all kept moving into the building.

As we made our way upstairs, the only sounds that could be heard was the fighting downstairs. I quickly drew a sight rune on my arm to enhance my eyesight in the dark room. As I looked up from my arm, I saw a person run to the next room. I held up my witchlight and gestured to the pack to follow me and to keep quiet.

I glanced behind me and I could see the glowing eyes of Malia, Stiles, Ryder, and Liam. They all looked intimidating and powerful. Stiles held his baseball bat with an iron grip. I walked towards the room that I saw the figure run too.

The darkness seemed to get darker somehow. Must be a spell. My sight rune proved ineffective with the newfound darkness. I could just make out the figure standing in the distance. I lifted my witchlight and the figure was just out of range.

"In the name of the angel Raziel and the authority of the Clave, I order you to stand down and come with me." I called out in the most authoritative voice I could muster.

"Silly girl. I don't care about you and your silly clave and your laws. I just wanted to bring you and your friends here." The warlock said in return.

"Step into the witchlight so I can take you in." I said, moving forward.

As I moved forward I heard a whimper and it almost looked like I saw a glimpse of strawberry blonde hair. I faltered in my steps, but I tried to play it off.

"I saw that. You think you saw something, right?" He said, almost taunting.

She's not here. She's at home. She's safe. I told myself.

When I shifted the witchlight up I saw the face of the warlock and a hostage he had with him. My breath hitched in my throat. They were faces I recognized. I was looking into the cold hard eyes of Dylan as he held Lydia in a chokehold with a blade to her neck.

My blood ran cold in my veins as my witchlight toppled from my hand. Any confidence I had was gone and I was stuck in my tracks.

This just became more complicated.