Rehabilitation

"Dad, I can walk on my own," I said as Dad steadied my shoulders and Bubba spotted us from behind me.

They had insisted that I use crutches or a wheelchair, but I refused. I insisted that I could walk, which is how I ended up with two worried dads helping me to my room.

The cast on my leg had been removed and replaced with a boot. I would have the boot for about a month and then we could test out healing runes and spells. Healing the mundane way was truly a long process.

Dad and Bubba had discussed physical therapy for my leg, but once again I insisted that I was fine. They agreed, but were worried nonetheless.

I made my way to my bed and plopped myself down. I then looked up to see my dads looking at me with worry in their eyes.

"I'm fine. Lydia is coming over, the institute is still on high alert, and you guys are down the hall." I said looking between the two.

In the weeks since the incident, Lydia had become a regular face around the institute. She was known to have clearance to the wing with the suite, she was all but royalty- being my girlfriend and all.

"We just want to make sure that you don't hurt yourself." Bubba said, smoothing down my hair. I leaned away from the touch.

"I'm fine. You can go to work, both of you." I said eyeing dad.

"Okay, we'll go. Just call if you need us." He said raising his hands in defeat. He and Bubba left my room and shut the door.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Now that I was out of the medical wing, my mind was back to thinking about the fact that they wiped my memory and have yet to tell me about it. I moved so I was further under my duvet and closed my eyes. Soon exhaustion set in and I was asleep.

~

Knock Knock

The knocking on my bedroom door stirred me from my impromptu nap. I pried my eyes open and saw the late sun setting. I rolled over and felt the extra weight of my boot brushing against my opposite leg.

I heard the slight sound of my door being opened.

"Sav?" I heard Lydia whisper.

"hnng?" I managed to groan out.

I heard the shuffling of her taking off her shoes and then her weight under the covers with me. She wrapped her arm around my waist and nuzzled her face into my neck.

"Mmm, hello." I said, becoming more aware of her presence.

"Hey," she said, her voice muffled in my neck.

We laid there in silence for a while before I decided to roll over and face her. I looked to see her hazel eyes blazing with the setting sun.

"How are you?" I asked looking over her face.

"I've seen better days. My mom is a nightmare, school sucks without you, and I haven't slept well all week." She responded, as if these weren't things to be concerned with.

"Lyds, you know you can talk to me right?" I said, smoothing her hair down.

She nodded as she pushed her head into the palm of my hand, almost like a cat.

There was a pause before I asked, "How is it in your house with your mom?"

She seemed to tense at the mentioning of her mother. She took a deep breath and looked into my eyes. I felt like she was looking into my soul, into my heart.

"She's a nightmare. She refuses to admit that I like girls, everything I do is under constant scrutiny. Of course, she doesn't know I'm here with you, she thinks I'm with Stiles studying."