Chapter 1- The Party and The Boy

I honestly can't believe it's been two years since my mom saw her parents for the first time in years. I'm happy that she got to see them after such a long time. But now the whole incident with my dad's mom coming after us is over, here we are two years later celebrating my 12th birthday. I decided to have a party and invite all the kids who are twelve and thirteen. Both humans and vampires. I know there won't be a lot of people there but honestly I'm not the person who likes big crowds. Yeah I know it sounds weird for a princess to say that. But growing up I never had that many real friends. I had play dates with the children from the other kingdoms then I never talked to them again. As I grew older I stayed in the library and read books alone and I still do that. My parents are always busy running the kingdom they usually don't have time for me. They hired a few maids to fill in my mothers' place when she couldn't be around. Hopefully all that changes today. Today I become a preteen and I need my mom in my life more than ever.

"Melissa are you ready yet? The guests are already here", one of the maids said from the other side of the door.

"I'll be out in a second".

I took a look at myself in the mirror and put on the earrings my parents got for me when I was born. A pair of earrings that looked like crowns but these are sterling silver. These are my favorite pair out of the hundred that I own. I stood up and smoothed out my dress and walked out my room to the garden. This is my favorite place out of the whole palace. I walked around and greeted a few guests then a took a seat at a table in the back where no one would notice me. A few minutes later a tall figure shadowed over me which forced me to look up.

"Hi. Is this seat taken?", he asked in a voice that sounded like the angles were singing.

He seems to be taller than me and I'm wearing heels. He was a little pale with freckles covering his face, black hair, brown eyes and fit. His scent was different than mine so he's a human. I hope he doesn't know who I am. All the guys my parents tried to get me to be with just wanted me for my money and royal status. They didn't get to know the real me.

"No go ahead have a seat", I finally replied.

"Thanks". He sat down. "So what's your name?", he asked.

Think of something. Come on.

"Suzy Worthington. Yours?".

"Ethan Williams. You look really familiar", he said tapping his chin.

"I do?", I asked.

"You're the princess", he replied.

"Okay yes I am. So what? You're going to pretend to take an interest in me just for you to be the king in the future?", I asked.

"What no that's ridiculous. For one I've never had a girlfriend before and I'm not good with romance. Secondly I'm not that type of guy. I'd honestly like to get to know the real you. Maybe go out on a date with you", he said.

"I'm flattered but we don't know each other like that. Plus I'm pretty sure my dad wouldn't approve of me going out with a human", I said.

"Do you think we could see each other tonight after everyone leaves?", he asked.

"Well I'd have to sneak out which shouldn't be so hard since I can teleport places. How about you? Can you sneak out?", I asked.

"Yes. My parents are heavy sleepers. Sneaking out is always easy for me. So we should meet here?", he asked.

"Yeah we can", I replied with a smile.

We sat there for a little while until it was time to open my gifts and cut the cake.

"Well it was fun talking to you. Just remember that when you open your gifts, the necklace with your first initial is from me", he said.

"I'll keep it in mind. See you tonight Ethan", I said with a small smile.

I teleported over to my parents and sat the table. This is gonna take forever...