Chapter 7.

Ariella

"What's his name?" He asked and I then realized my mistake. There's no way I could tell him who he was so I said the quickest lie that came to my mind.

"Umm, I don't remember, " I noticed he tilted his head and hoped I didn't give any obvious signs of a lie. Usually, I'm pretty good at lying, not that that'd be good on a resume, but worth mentioning.

I also realized him lifting my chin up was the first time we ever touched. It's only been about three minutes since and I can't even remember how it felt, letting anxiety get in my way.

I could tell he was about to ask another question about the man in the suit so I quickly spoke over his thoughts.

"How about we make a toast?" I suggested. He complied and I figured why not make it to Frankie's new corner office since I had nothing else to toast to.

He added to never becoming irrelevant and my dress, which surprisingly he seemed to like. It was a dress Maddie got for me on my 23rd birthday.

It was for 'incase I ever found a man' she had said. I guess I finally found one. Too bad he's my boss. But it kind of works out for the both of us.

His phone rung, in which he answered with his surname. Ofcourse. How else would he answer it. I imagined myself answering with my last name.

Faure, I thought to myself, shaking my head. He snapped me out of my thoughts when he placed his phone on the bar.

"I guess I should get a car to take you home," He said. He was smiling, but I could tell something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Okay," I responded, unsure if I should ask. He replied with an 'okay' calmly seeming to get one last look in my eyes. He made one last call before he walked me outside.

I had a really weird feeling considering he was in a bit of a rush. A black limo pulled in front of us and I was gently yet quickly pushed behind him. Confusion overtook me and I begin to panic.

"Dante, what are you-" The door to the limo opened and Dante went still. I couldn't get a good view standing behind his tall figure but I heard a familiar voice and froze.

"Dante. Dante Acosta. Pleasure running into you here."

Nicholas..

Worry filled me and I grabbed onto Dante's suit jacket, wishing I could disappear. If he finds out I know him I'll end up just like Jesse. Maybe even worse. Ofcourse, it's like me to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Nicholas. Nicholas Fausti. I wish I could say the same," Dante's voice turned cold. "But if you will excuse me, I have some business to attend to."

"Let's hope it's not the same business your father got involved in," He told him, nonchalantly walking in front of Dante.

Dante let out a laugh, but you could tell it was one laced with poison. What did he mean?

"Have a nice night," He told him through gritted teeth, but it was obvious he was already mentally plotting his death.

"Hmmm, " Nicholas responded still standing in front of Dante. Is he looking for me? How would he know I was here with Dante? "I will, right after you show me what you're hiding behind your back there."

I saw Dante's hands ball up into fists and I knew if he had hit him It'd make his business look very bad and it was obvious the way he handled the spy that his business meant everything to him.

I stepped from behind Dante with my head down, shyly. I was shaking, hoping he wouldn't recognize me. Dante watched my every move until Nicholas spoke.

"Oh, shame on you Dante, for hiding such a pretty girl," He leaned down to my eye level to look at me. He removed his hands from his pockets and reached towards me, most likely to lift my chin up, but Dante's hand stopped him. I looked up at Dante's sudden movement and I immediately met Nicholas' smile and dark eyes. He was closer than I had guessed. "I'm just trying to be a gentleman, Acosta. Can I do that?"

Dante moved his hand back down and I wished he hadn't. Once he did, Nicholas grabbed my hand and kissed it as he looked into my eyes.

"Nice to meet you beautiful," He said with a wink, letting me know he did know who I was. Why he pretended he didn't in front of Dante, I didn't know but I'd be forever grateful. "You know if Dante here ever gets out of hand, feel free to call m-"

Before he could finish his sentence Dante pulled me to him by my waist, making me gasp. "Alright, that's enough. She's fine with me. Now I think it's best you go and tend to whatever business you have here."

It was a warning not a suggestion and I could tell Nicholas was aware of that. He backed up with his arms up in surrender, repeating 'fine.'

"Til we meet again,"He told us both, sending me another wink. I hoped Dante hadn't seen it, but after Nicholas walked into the restraurant and bar, leaving just Dante and I alone again.

We were met with awkward silence for about a minute until the car he had called pulled up as if right on cue, yet not quick enough considering what just happened. By this time his hand was removed from my waist and he walked me over to the it.

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened just now," He told me with a sigh, leaning on the car door. "Nicholas just doesn't quite know his place. You'll find out about our companies later on, but I had a great time. Thank you for coming out."

I nodded at most of what he said, understanding. He just didn't know, I already knew what the problem was, but I wasn't going to let him know that. I may not have known why they were rivals, but I knew. "I had a great time too and thank you for protecting me in front of him."

I blushed down again and he smiled at me, before lifting my head up again. "Chin up. It looks good on you."

My eyes met his hazel ones and my heart constricted. I felt like the night was missing something. Maybe the usual hug goodbye? Kiss goodnight? Handshake? But I figured we had already gotten touch-y enough. "Have a great rest of the night and I'll see you at work tommorow."

He closed me in the car and I told the driver my address. I thought about what all happened tonight. It almost seemed as if Dante claimed me as his in front of Nicholas, but I wasn't going to over think it, incase i'm wrong. This evening went from good to bad to awkward and then to good again and I couldn't help but think..

What have I gotten myself into?

Photo of Nicholas:

I know his hair looks dark af here but it's actually dirty blonde, anywaysss I hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

Please like and comment!!