Chapter 21.

Ariella

Another one of my playlist songs begin to play and I smiled to myself at the awkward irony of the lyrics.

He didn't seem to mind though.

I consciously watched my steps, being careful not to step on Dante's slacks.

The fact that Dante even wanted to dance with me in the first place was yet to set in.

I calmed my heart rate and begin to listen to the tune of the song.

My eyes closed and in my head I pictured a happy place.

I saw Dante and I in a ballroom.

I was Cinderella and he was my prince charming.

That was when I decided to let go. Let my unease, my insecurity, and fear go.

Right here, right now, I was living. Nothing else seemed to matter anymore; I allowed him to take me anywhere he pleased on our dance floor.

He stepped forward, I stepped back. He sped up, I sped up. We became one with the song, with the dance and with each other.

Even our heart beats synced.

We continued like that until we had to separate, though I felt an ache in my chest being away from his warmth.

When the song was close to ending beeping filled my ears and I quickly pushed my hands against his chest, breaking the moment.

His stern hold unwavered for a few seconds before he let me go after I'd realized what was still in the oven.

I ran towards it, grabbing the red oven mits, and pulled the strawberry crostata out.

Maddie had helped me tremendously with making sure everything would turn out the way it should and I was proud of our handy work.

Hopefully, it tasted as good as it looked.

I placed it onto the counter next to the oven. I had planned to set it up for Dante and I on the candle lit table outside by the water, but time went by a lot faster than I thought it would.

After I turned to switch the stove and oven off, I swung around to see Dante frozen as he stared at the tart pie.

His breathing seemed to have sped up as his muscular chest rose and fell more quickly now.

"Angel.." I heard him faintly say under his breath.

What?

"Dante, is something wrong?"

His eyes slowly came up to mine and the pain I saw there made my lips part in shock as his pain then became my own.

My chest hurt and my eyes were about to water til he looked away from me, back to the counter.

I don't get it.

Suddenly, he stepped closer to it and walked next to me until he was standing in front of it.

I moved to the side and watched as he surveyed it.

"Did you..make this..for me?" The innocence in his, still deep, voice reminded me of a child and I almost gave a verbal awe.

"Yes," I replied.

I was confused. Karina told me he liked them. I mean if his mother made it for him before then..

Oh no..

The realization hit me. Dante had never talked about his mother, for all I know, she could be..