Chapter 49.

Dante

Amazement, fear, wonder, terror, awe, confusion, every emotion I felt right now all rolled up into one glance as I stared at the doctor.

My lips parted to speak, but I was left speechless. Unable to move even. The feelings I felt couldn't be put into words. "That - that can't be right, we.."

We.. never used a --

Could this actually be true?

"I assure you MRI's are very accurate. Usually, when an ultrasound fails, it's our next go to."

Suddenly, I felt the want to drop to my knees.

She's.. She's pregnant.

"I'll leave you all alone now," the doctor stated before exiting the room.

"See, that kissing is what got you in trouble now," I heard Maddie say, nonchalantly. As I looked over I could see the gigantic smile she was trying to hide.

And then, I looked to Ariella. My angel. My wife. My everything. She was just as awe-struck and speechless as I was as she stared at the spot where the doctor used to be.

"I'm.." her voice came out in a low, breathy whisper.

I didn't think I was even capable of having..

"I'll go see if that doctor has a hot son so you two can be alone," she squeezed Ariella's hand tightly before leaving the room, too.

This.. this is amazing, but me? Actually having a kid? With everything going on right now at work, with Nicholas, with Maria, could I really afford to bring a child into all of this.

Most of the feelings I felt couldn't be put into words and probably didn't have names, but now one stuck out above all others.

Anxiety.

Stomach eating, mind shattering fear that I was going to screw this up. That I would be a terrible father and my child would end up moving away and never speaking to me again. What if my mental state causes Ariella to want to divorce me because I can't handle the stress of being responsible for the care of a small person. Could I actually be a better father than mine was? How will this effect my life? A baby is a big responsibility.

"Dante," I heard my name and my eyes snapped to hers again.

Blue against hazel.

I saw complete and utter fear there and my heart squeezed. She brought me calmness while she was scared out of her mind. My hand still remained in hers so I brought it up and placed a kiss on the back of her palm. She cautiously sat up and her hand went onto my cheek. "I'm so sorry, Dante."

I was shocked at her words. What was she sorry for. She should be happy. I'd want this with no one else. "Don't be sorry, angel. Ever. I am happy. So happy."

"But you are crying."

And that's when I felt it. A single tear rolled down my cheek and she swiped it away. I felt more coming as I grabbed her hand and placed it over my wildly thumping heart. I briskly stood up finally gathering my strength when on the inside I was fucking losing it. I wrapped her in my arms, being careful not to hurt her as I almost fell into bed with her.

None of this felt real. To think at this very second organs and tissue were being assembled into a little package, that would, one day, look up at me and say "I love you, daddy."

And what felt even more unnatural was the fact that I admired that idea. My heart swelled and my stomach did fucking flips. Everything felt so overwhelming.