Chapter 22.

Dante

"I think I'll pass," I shrugged off her offer, standing up as she sadly tilted her head at my response.

"I have to check in with Karina," I lied, placing my dish in the sink and going to exit the kitchen. I had already did that, and luckily no one had made any moves I hadn't planned for. "But thank you, Ariella."

"Can't you try it after, then?" She pleaded in a voice of sadness and disappointment. I shut my eyes as my back was turned to her, trying not to fall into the trap of emotions.

I think she knew that with one look from her she could make me do what ever she wanted whenever she'd see fit, but I couldn't take that chance.

"It's getting late," I forced a subject change, my voice sounding rough even to my own ears. "We should both get some sleep. We have a big day tommorow."

I begin to loosen my suit tie and it seemed she had given up.

I removed my jacket from over my shoulder before I heard a low sigh escape her lips.

"Did something happen to your mother?"

Her words caught me off guard in the worst way possible. I almost stopped breathing as I slowly turned my head to her.

Did something happen to my mother?

How thoughtless and offhanded could one be?

"I mean-" She tried to fix her mistake, but it was much too late.

"Pardon?" My eyes squinted as I slid my jacket back on, fully.

She was now standing, biting her lower lip in nervousness.

There were boundaries. Boundaries that shouldn't need to be intact verbally. Common sense boundaries.

And she had overstepped hers.

"I don't mean to upset you, It's just you.."  She searched for her words and I let her. But it seemed her search was never ending.

I raised my chin up, thinking about the right way to handle this.

It was once again time for the choice that I usually made instinctively. But the other element was stronger here.

There was always a choice, of course. Either of anger or calmness.

Anger always won.

It would consume me until there was nothing left. I'd only make myself believe I had the second choice, but in reality it was inevitable 

Until her.

However, now she was the trigger.

Which made it more difficult. In this particular situation, calmness was accompanied by something more.

Still, there was no way I could choose it. I was the boss here. Ariella had no right to question my personal life.

That was a trip down memory lane I'd never be willingly take.

"Listen clearly when I say this," I started, using an athorative tone, avoiding looking down at her. "Because I'm only going to say this once. What has.. or has not happened to my mother is none of your concern. When I decide that you will be my new therapist I will let you know. Is that understood?"

"Yes," She responded in a whisper a hesitantly. "But if it's bothering you this much then maybe.."

You just have to push my fucking buttons don't you, gattina?

Fine.

You want angry Dante, then angry Dante is what you will get.

"You want me to try the pie so bad, then fine, I'll fucking try it." I gestured the one hand that wasn't in my pocket towards it, then taking quick strides towards the utensil drawer next to it, I snatched it open, causing a few forks and spoons to hit the floor.