Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Only you can run straight into a wall while throwing a punch," I laughed, earning a scowl in return. "That's why your stance is important. We wouldn't want you to run face first into a man's chest."

"Yeah, yeah. Keep making fun of me." Chase huffed out as I applied a small amount of disinfecting ointment in the middle of his forehead where he earned a scratch.

In case you were wondering, we were in the middle of practicing when I instructed him to throw a punch so that I could teach him how to dodge it. This resulted in me dodging the punch and stepping out of the way too fast for his liking, which made him stumble over his own feet and run into the wall behind me while trying to regain balance. Needless to say, I spent a good amount of five minutes rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.

"I think we should practice on your stance first. For you to block or dodge any punch or kicks thrown your way, you must have a good fighting stance to prevent accidents," I said and placed a band-aid on top of the scratch. "Stand up and show me your best fighting stance."

He grumbled but did as told and stood in front of me. His look turned uncertain as he separated his legs a bit and held his fists in front of his chest. I couldn't help but give him a lopsided grin and stepped forward. He looked at me nervously and skeptically as I placed my hands on his chest and kept grinning. Without any notice, I shoved him backwards, making his eyes go wide as he lost balance and landed on the yoga mat.

"Don't worry if you feel ridiculous, that's normal," I chuckled. "Come on, try again."

"Why? It's obvious that my position wasn't even close to being right." He huffed. I just raised an eyebrow at him, and he sighed. I offered him a hand, which he accepted, and helped him up. He positioned himself back in the same position and looked at me with a frown.

"The reason you lost balance quickly is because of your legs. Are you a lefty?"

"No," he answered with his brows furrowed.

"Then that means that your dominant side is the right side. Now, put your left leg in front of the right one and flex them. Your body must be facing your right while your head should keep staring ahead," I said and kicked his legs apart, putting them in the right position. "This way, when somebody pushes you, your right foot will prevent you from losing your balance. Now, to improve your abilities with your left side, you will use that side for defense while the right is more for offense."

"Alright." He nodded in agreement. I helped him position his legs correctly and he watched attentively.

"Don't tense your body, especially your legs. Your knees need to be relaxed for you to sidestep quickly. Also, if you tense your body, that will only cause each punch you receive more painful, so relax," I said, and he nodded. I watched as his shoulders visibly relaxed and his body became looser. I smiled in satisfaction and nodded. "That's it."

"What now?" he asked.

I stood beside him in the same fighting stance and positioned my arms the right way. He eyed my every movement and did his best to replicate my stance.

"Your left arm will be used for defense, so it needs to be straight, facing your opponent. The only reason to tense this arm is to block a heavy attack. Your right fist will be positioned under your chin; you will use it for offense. We will use the remaining time to learn blocking and dodging. We will get to the punches another day," I instructed.

We spent about an hour and a half practicing, and I was surprised, to say the least. I knew he was a know-it-all, but I didn't expect him to also learn defense moves quickly.