Chapter 47

Chapter 47

"Are you out of your mind?" Lindsey hissed, bolting out of her chair rather quickly. Wesley took hold of her elbow instantly, preventing her from charging at me. "You're seriously throwing the ball too far, Amelia!"

"I have already made up my mind," I said sternly, giving her a hard glare. "You've wanted this for a long time, and now you're just a simple call away. Just trust me!"

"You're crazy if you think I'm going to let you—"

"Lindsey, stop!" Wesley barked, pulling her back to the chair. "I know that this isn't what you want. Hell, it isn't what I want either! But you've got to accept the fact that this is our best and only shot. We both know that once Amelia makes up her mind, there is no way to make her sway."

"Still," she whispered. "I can't just let her throw herself under the bus just to save him."

"Lindsey." I sighed. "It's not going to be the end of the world. Now go! We can't waste much time."

"But—"

"Now!" I shouted, standing up from my chair. "Wesley, get her out of here and start on your part. I'll handle the rest."

Wesley gave a short nod, his eyes holding mine for a moment, before dragging Lindsey away. The door closed behind them, and I let out a long breath. 

I glanced at the time. Only an hour and a half until four. Great.

I stepped out of the office that once belonged to my so-called-father. Memories of when Chase and I were kidnapped flooded back as I took in the familiar surroundings. The halls were still the same: no bullet holes, blood, or dead bodies lingering around, though. 

As I kept walking around, I came to step into the most dreaded hallway of them all. Everything came rushing back in a painful manner. The screams, the shooting, the fighting...the killing.

I was running out of this place with Kenneth and Danielle leading the way. We fought off some guards that got in our way. But Izzy came out of nowhere, pointing her gun at me... before Danielle stood in between us.

Then the chaos began.

Kenneth's desperate pulls to try and get me to safety while Danielle was fighting against my sister. 

Danielle getting shot through the back of her head by Izzy.

Kenneth putting a bullet through Izzy's chest.

After that, Kenneth's frantic cries of how this was all my fault.

Finally, armed men coming into the scene and killing Kenneth in cold blood.

This is all your fault.

I cringed as the painful memories tugged at my heartstrings. I stumbled out of that hallway and found my way back to the kitchen. 

No one was around, much to my luck. I absentmindedly searched through every cupboard, hoping to find the one thing I haven't touched in a while. Finally, after opening one last cupboard, I found the familiar bottle of whiskey.

I didn't hesitate to grab the almost empty bottle and head upstairs to my room. Chase wasn't anywhere to be seen, but I paid no mind to that as I rummaged through some drawers. I found the square box of cigarettes and tugged it into my pocket, then made my way back out to the backyard. 

The sun was still shining brightly in the sky as I reached inside my pocket and pulled a cigarette out. I placed it in my mouth and felt my pocket again, cursing silently when I realized that I forgot to bring a lighter with me.