Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"That was hilarious!" Chase laughed as he composed himself, wiping away a fake tear.

I chuckled at him as we walked down the hallway mindlessly. "Someone just brightened up this boring day," I mused.

"I just hope I don't get in trouble for this," he mumbled, the laughter now completely gone.

Did this guy have mood swings?

"Stop being so paranoid," I told him with an eye roll. "If someone's getting in trouble, it's me."

He kept his mouth shut and nodded slowly, walking a few steps behind me. The hallway was buzzing with chatter as we walked by. By the corner of my eye, I noticed Izzy rushing up to someone out of my field of vision. I was about to shrug it off when the familiar back of Gregory Austen walked toward her. I narrowed my eyes at this, about to go over to them, but a hand stopped me.

"Lily, please give me a chance to explain." I heard Kenneth say while holding my arm.

Just as my day was getting better.

"I don't wish to speak with either of you for a while. I'll find a place to crash the night so tell Danielle to definitely not expect me," I said, giving him a glare.

He opened his mouth to say something but decided against it as he let out a long sigh. I snatched my arm from his hold and walked away, forgetting the concerned Chase behind me.

"Is everything alright?" Chase asked while trying to keep a steady pace with me.

Before I had a chance to make a remark, my phone vibrated in my pocket and I groaned. I snatched the phone out of my pocket and rolled my eyes when I saw my mother's name flashing on the screen. The call ended by itself, but after a second, it began vibrating again. Taking a deep breath, I decided to answer the call, ready to snap at her.

"Amelia!" she screamed, making me stop dead in my tracks. It was not the type of demanding scream. It was more of a desperate, frantic one. "Amelia, please help!"

"Calm down, calm down," I said. "What's happening?"

"They found me!" she said, terrified.

A loud crash and a banging noise were heard in the background, making her yelp.

"Who found you?" I demanded, my heart rate speeding up as the crashing and banging got louder.

"Come help me!" she yelled once more, her voice wavering as she started sobbing. "They're going to kill me! I need—"

My eyes widened as another bang was heard—this one ten times louder—and my mother shrieked from the other side of the line. I was about to speak up, but my mother's frantic voice beat me to it. "Oh God, no! Please don't kill me! No! Ty—"

With that, the line went dead. I was frozen on the spot, not noticing a very concerned Chase standing ahead of me while waving his hands in front of my face. I quickly snapped out of it, my eyes widening in terror as I stared at Chase. There was only one name flashing through my mind, which completely terrified me.

Tyler.

"Amelia! What's wrong?"

"I have to go," I said and rushed off without another word.

The bell for the fourth lesson rang, but I still ran towards the school's entrance. I was suddenly snatched backward, and I didn't hesitate to turn around and throw a punch.

Chase quickly dodged the punch and stared at me wide-eyed, but what he said next surprised me, "I'll come with you."

I stared at him for a second longer than necessary, but nodded nonetheless and continued running. Once we were reaching the entrance, I noticed the security guard on his usual chair, making sure nobody left the building. He quickly stood up to stop us, but I quickly punched his nose.