Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We reached an empty hall and I let go of Chase's wrist. He was panting loudly while I exhaled small huffs through my nose. He bent over, putting his hands on his knees as I stared at him.

He was clearly starting to panic, given how his wide eyes started darting across the floor. "I'm going to be in big trouble," he said, eyes still on the floor. He slowly straightened up while fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "What have I done? He will kill me..."

"Calm down, Chase." I chuckled. "No one is going to kill you."

"My clean record will be ruined...I'm going to be suspended. If that happens, I'll fail my classes and—"

"God, shut up already." I rolled my eyes and slapped his cheeks, not too harsh to actually hurt him. "Stop your rambling, you will be fine. Heck! You stopped a fight. Everyone else would just stare and record it."

"But—"

"You don't have to be a goody-two-shoes with perfect grades all the time, you know?" I sighed. "You didn't do anything wrong. If anyone is to blame, it's Gregory. He's the one that started all this mess."

We stayed quiet after I said that, Chase looking deep in thought. I leaned my back against the walls, smoothing the wrinkles on the front of my crop top. Chase looked hesitant, as if he didn't know if to ask something or not. I raised an eyebrow in curiosity, watching him scratch the back of his neck. He noticed me looking at him and smiled guiltily, finally deciding. "What happened between you both in the past?"

After hearing that question, I frowned a little. I should have expected him to ask that question sooner or later. Sighing, I spared him a glance and he grimaced. "Same typical story. He cheated on me."

His eyes widened at my confession, and I let out a dry chuckle. I continued explaining, nonetheless, "We were having a date at a restaurant. It was our one-year-anniversary. Everything was going alright until he started drinking. He got so drunk that he had to excuse himself to go and throw up. I waited patiently for him for five minutes, then ten, then fifteen. I was getting worried, so I went to look for him. Turned out he was making out in the parking lot with some other girl."

"Oh..." he trailed off. "I see."

"Yeah." I chuckled. The warning bell rang, signaling the end of lunchtime. His panicked state came back, making me laugh. "Go ahead, rush off to your history class. We don't want you to 'ruin your clean record.'"

He flushed a little and seemed like he wanted to say something, but decided not to, then nodded. I watched him scurry off into the sea of people with an amused lopsided grin on my face.

That boy surely brightened up my day.

I waited until the halls became empty before heading over to the soccer field. Once I stepped foot on the grass, I looked around to see if I found a stray ball somewhere. To my luck, there was.

I strutted over to the very center of the field, somehow feeling as if I was walking straight into a bait. Why else would there be a soccer ball exactly in the middle of the field?

Shrugging the feeling off, I picked the ball from the ground. I played with it in my hands for a bit and glanced at the nearest net. Placing the ball on the ground about twenty feet away from the net, I backed away until I reached a certain distance. I dashed forward and kicked the ball, watching it shoot forward and land against the net. I smirked and jogged towards it, grabbing the ball and going to the center of the field once again.

I calculated the distance to get to the net before putting the ball back on the ground. I kicked it forward as I jogged behind it. I smiled then turned around, kicking it upward and doing a perfect bicycle kick. I landed on the ground a little awkwardly, obviously needing more practice on the landing. When I looked back at the net, I noticed that my aiming was a little off since the ball landed on the very corner.