Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"Chase! Oh, thank God you're alright!" Sophia cried as she pried herself out of Victor's arms and ran toward Chase. She engulfed him in a hug and he did the same to her, his eyes wide with shock. "It is so good to see you alive. Look at what Steven did to you!"

"Why are you here? Did my stepfather do anything to you?" Chase asked, ignoring the overly-concerned gasps that his mother was letting out while inspecting his injuries.

"Oh no, he didn't. He wouldn't dare touch me. Steven just told me he had a surprise for me. Then he kept me in this place, before telling me everything. I'm so glad that you're alive. That means that you won." She cried even more.

I watched their exchange with astonishment, taking every bit of information in. That was when everything started clicking inside my brain.

"You look so much alike."

"So you knew about this this entire time, huh?" I asked her.

Apparently, that was when she noticed me. Her eyes held guilt and sorrow as her lips tugged downwards in a frown. "Unfortunately, I did. Well, only the part of him being your father, not the gang thing. You have no idea how terrible I feel. I am deeply sorry for keeping this from you," she apologized, and I gave her a small smile.

"It's alright, none of this is your fault," I assured her and faced the crowd that was staring at us either awkwardly or boringly. "I would really appreciate it if all of you could be present here on Friday at four in the afternoon. Your assistance is mandatory, since there are very important things to discuss. You are all dismissed, rest well."

Mumbles filled the room as everyone started getting up from their seats and left. I sighed and rubbed my tired eyes as I looked at Sophia.

"You all should get some rest as well; you look so beaten up. Come on, I'll take you to some spare rooms and prepare some hot chocolate for you," she said and started walking ahead. I noticed Victor standing by the door, and I gave him a questioning look.

"I thought I would take you to your room, so I stayed behind to do so," he explained, answering my unasked question.

"Don't worry, Victor. I believe Sophia knows her way around. You may go rest. You seem tired," I told him, and he slowly nodded.

"Yes, Amelia," he said and walked away. Someone squeezed my shoulder and I looked at Wesley, who gave me a sympathetic smile.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and hugged me close while following Chase's mother. "The closer we get to the end, the less I like this plan," he muttered, low enough for only me to hear.

I frowned at his words, not wanting to think about the final step. I felt Chase's gaze on me and the question lingering behind his eyes. He opened his mouth to speak, but the halting Sophia distracted us all.

"These are the two largest spare rooms in the building, so I thought it might be perfect for you guys.­ Since there are only two, you have two options. Either the girls sleep together in one and the boys in another, or you all sleep as couples." She giggled.

I smirked at this while Chase blushed furiously, and Wesley and Lindsey shared awkward glances.

"We aren't exactly a couple." Lindsey coughed, and I snickered.

"Alright, guys. Try not to make too much noise, you don't know how old these beds are." I winked at them, and they both glared at me. I laughed and Sophia gave me a mischievous look.

"You should listen to your own advice, Amelia," she mused and I only smirked.

"Better tell that to your son, you know he can be... sensitive," I shot back. Her face paled and a loud cough escaped Chase's throat as he choked on air. Soon enough, her pale face turned bright red and I laughed at their expressions.