Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I playfully punched Kenneth's shoulder after I turned to face him. He chuckled and ruffled my blonde hair, making me groan. "Filling up an empty stomach, are we?"

"Certainly so," I said.

The woman behind the counter called my order and I picked the tray up. We walked to an unoccupied table and sat down. I picked up an onion ring and ate it, watching as Kenneth drank what was left of his drink.

"I started training the nerd today."

"Chase? How was it?" he asked in interest.

"He has some good reflexes, plus he learns quite fast. I kind of expected a little less, at least," I said.

He nodded in understanding and I kept eating my food while creating small talk. I was done with my food in about ten minutes while Kenneth played with the straw of his drink. Without waiting for him, I picked my tray up and walked to the trash can. I threw the garbage away and headed to the door, hearing footsteps coming up behind me. I didn't even bother to turn around since I already knew who it was.

"You were never one to wait, were you?" Kenneth asked after he threw his cup away.

I only laughed a little and walked out the door, him following suit. We went over to where my ride was parked at. I picked up the helmet and shuffled it from hand to hand, leaning against my bike. "Where is Dan?"

"She's at her house, being a nerd." He chuckled and stood in front of me. I smiled, knowing that he was totally right. The smile got smaller when I noticed that his behavior changed a little. He looked a little nervous, his hand reaching the back of his neck. "Do you mind if I ask you something?"

"You just did." I raised an eyebrow.

"Smart-ass." He rolled his eyes then sighed. "It's a serious question."

I nodded warily at this, stopping the shuffling of the helmet and keeping it still in one hand.

He didn't look at me as he asked the question, staring at the building instead. "Have you heard anything about your father?"

My shoulders tensed; my eyes became hard as I heard the question. Kenneth looked like he regretted the question immediately, looking at me with pity. Images of what I thought that man looked like flashed through my head. The small smile I had recently suddenly turned into a frown, and my eyes narrowed suspiciously. "No, and I don't care anymore."

"Sorry," he muttered awkwardly.

"You know that I don't like talking about him, so why do you ask?"

"Just curious, I guess..." He shrugged.

I wanted to ask more, but the ringing of my phone interrupted me. I picked it up and swiped right to answer, not even bothering to look at the caller ID. "What?" I asked on the phone.

"How dare you 'what' me? You were supposed to be in the house twenty minutes ago! What are you even doing?" my mother's angered tone answered me.

"Eating," was my vague answer. This seemed to anger her more since she started cursing and telling me about how bad junk food was for me and how I would lose my figure if I kept eating like that. I snorted since we both knew that I had a better figure than her. "Relax, Mother, at least I do my best to keep myself in shape."

In the corner of my eye, I saw Kenneth covering his mouth in amusement.

"Young lady, you come over to the house right this instant! I won't tolerate your disrespectfulness anymore. You have fifteen minutes."