Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I could hear the faint noise of the door unlocking, which made me wake up from my slumber. I slid my hand under my pillow, grasping my pocket knife drowsily. The door creaked open, and I kept my eyes closed while slow footsteps approached me.

Did they find me already?

"Happy birthday to you!" Kenneth yelled at the top of his lungs, making me sit up in a haste.

I flicked the knife open with wide eyes, and saw that the couple was standing in front of my bed. Kenneth held a birthday cake with a single candle on top. Wesley stood behind them, holding two bags of snacks and whatever drinks they brought.

"How did you guys manage to get in?" I asked in bewilderment, hiding the knife under the pillow again.

A giggle was heard from the door, and a lady in her mid-fifties showed her face from the door. "Well, dear, this group of friends came to me and told me it was your birthday, I just had to help with the surprise," she explained, holding a set of keys in her hands.

"And we thank you very much for that, Mrs. Brown," Danielle said kindly, giving her a big smile.

"Oh please, call me Georgia, dear." The woman—Georgia—chuckled, before giving me a bright smile. "Happy birthday, Jessie!" With that, she left the room, and three sets of grins flashed at me.

Wesley took out a lighter and lit the candle on the birthday cake. I let my shoulders relax and chuckled at them. Now I knew that I couldn't even trust the janitors. I was lucky enough that it wasn't one of the bad guys.

"Make a wish!" Kenneth urged, and I rolled my eyes at his eagerness. I leaned forward and then blew the candle out, and before I knew it, my face was buried into the cake.

"Classic move." I groaned as the others laughed, and I couldn't help but smile. I wiped some frosting off my face and licked it off my fingers. As soon as the cream cheese frosting came in contact with my taste buds, I moaned in content.

Danielle handed me a paper towel and Wesley—being his Wesley self—licked off some of the frosting from my cheek. I grimaced at this and shoved him playfully, making him laugh.

He was already a grown-up man that acted like a child. He was thirty-four years old, for crying out loud.

"Well then, birthday girl, how does it feel to be twenty-two?" Danielle joked, obviously using the age of my fake ID.

"I don't know. I've never been this old before," I joked back, and she chuckled.

After two hours of eating random snacks and drinking wine, the three of them left to do their own things but promised to stop by later.

I stretched my arms over my head and yawned a bit, glancing at my clock to see that it was almost midday. My phone vibrated on top of the nightstand and I picked it up, furrowing my brows at the text from an unknown number.

Unknown Number: Hello there, Amelia. Coach speaking. The boys told me about your decision yesterday morning, and I'm glad you decided to join us. I'm well aware that you don't need introducing, but even so, there's practice today at 4 o'clock to introduce you to the rest of the team. Hope you can handle that much testosterone.

Me: Why, hello there, Mr. Coach. I'll try my best to not be late, but I won't make any promises. As to how you got my number, I won't even ask, but do know it's very creepy.

Unknown Number: Good to know your humor is still intact. I'll meet you with the rest of the team at the soccer field. As for your information, it's either Coach or Mr. Crawford.