Chapter 43

Chapter 43

I leaned against my bike with a blank face. The moon shone brightly above us, giving the field some light in the dark night. The grass was still high enough to tickle my ankles through the exposed skin of my fitted jeans. I had my hair up in a messy bun, and a leather jacket hugging the skin of my arms.

Chase was standing beside me, trying his best to cover up the anxiousness he felt. Lindsey and Wesley were standing at either side of us, and about eight of Wesley's men were leaning against their cars some feet behind. I glanced at my watch and noticed there were still two minutes for the watch to mark eleven o'clock.

Once the sound of revving engines was heard from a distance, I slowly interlaced my fingers with Chase's. He squeezed my hand slightly, probably to calm down the slight tremble threatening to take over his entire body.

Sleek black cars finally made an appearance and I tensed alongside Chase. They parked their cars in a semicircle, as if to cage us inside. I kept my face expressionless--mind the hard glare I had prepared for my so-called father. They kept the headlights on to give the dark field some more light, and they slowly pooled out of their cars one by one.

I slowly peeled my hand away from Chase's and balled it in a fist inside the pockets of my jacket. Steven and Bryce strode side by side until they were three feet away from us. Chase and I stood up straight and squared our shoulders defensively.

Steven offered us a sickening smirk, his pose careless and shoulders relaxed. He had both his hands tucked loosely inside his trousers' pockets as he stood in front of us with a smug-looking Bryce standing next to him. "I hope you trained this pup right, it would be better if Bryce had actual competition. It would be far more entertaining to watch," Steven spoke up, breaking the deafening silence that stretched over us like a mountain.

"As far as I remember, he was able to hold down Bryce for quite some time back when you abducted him." I shrugged and felt Bryce's glare on me.

"Yeah, if you hadn't played dirty and shot my leg, he would've been dead meat by now," he snarled, and I smirked at him.

"You seem to be doing fine after all. You shouldn't try to hide your limp, by the way, we can all see the agony in your eyes when you walk. Might as well drop the act," I suggested.

He took a threatening step forward, but Steven held an arm out to steady him. "Save your energy, boy. Remember she's not the one you're fighting against," Steven ordered, flashing his green eyes at me. I held his gaze, not letting my smirk falter, and then he looked at Chase.

"You seem to be in pretty good shape. Let's see how much that will last." He motioned for Chase and Bryce to step forward to the middle of the circle we created. Bryce shot me one last look and walked off, leaving me and Chase behind.

Chase let out a long breath and stood up straighter, determination lingering in his brown orbs. He went to step forward, but I held him back by the elbow. He turned to look at me with questioning eyes and I held both of his hands firmly in my own.

"Remember what I taught you. Try to aim for the leg, but don't make it obvious. Whatever he says to you, don't—"

"Go blind with rage, and never let my guard down. We've covered this up three times in the past hour, Amelia. I will be alright," he reassured me with a gentle smile. He decided to use his contact lenses for the fight, so I kind of missed the thick-framed glasses on his face.

"Do you have the small towel I gave you?" I asked quietly, and he gave me a small nod. "Good, make sure it doesn't fall. We both know that Bryce likes to play dirty and might whip out a dagger in the middle of the fight."